Vermont December 16, 2016
16 Reasons Why You Should Never, Ever Move To Vermont
Vermont is not for the faint of heart and if you think you can hack this mysterious and stunningly beautiful state, think again. Let’s not take ourselves too seriously for a moment or two and look at some of the reasons why Vermont might not be right for everyone. Sure, some people can handle life in VT, but we kind of like it here just the way it is and we tend to want to keep it that way. Here are 16 reasons why someone should never, ever move to Vermont.
1. We have too much snow.
If you can't embrace the white stuff all winter, then Vermont is not the place for you.
2. If you like to get dressed up for a night on the town, you're out of luck.
You may see us ordering a nice bottle of wine in our long johns apres ski, or you may hear the swish, swish, swish of ski pants while shopping. We may be casual, but we're also classy, and we don't need to dress up to prove it.
3. You don't like animals!?!?!
Well, you won't find too many like minded people here!
4. Whether you drink it or not, you need to appreciate craft beer.
Vermonters take pride in their beer and there are many breweries, and many, many more people who brew at home. It's more than a hobby, brewing beer here is a way of life.
5. Our maple syrup is the bomb.
Don't try to tell us otherwise. Not to mention sugar on snow, which is the tastiest treat around.
6. Love your chain restaurants and processed food?
You're out of luck here, folks. Vermont is a farm to table kind of state.
7. Be prepared to sell everything you own just to afford to live here.
The cost of living is pretty high in Vermont. Sometimes you need to make sacrifices.
8. They say that if you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
And if you can't handle the cold, you can't handle Vermont.
9. Most areas are nothing but peace and quiet.
If you like a lot of noise, or worse - MAKE a lot of noise, don't expect the welcome wagon to roll up.
10. Lactose intolerant?
You'll have a hard time resisting all the delicious Vermont cheeses.
11. Driving can be positively frightening.
Sometimes even the potholes have potholes!
12. If the mosquitos don't eat you alive...
The black flies will.
13. Ever feel like you're stuck?
Well, come mud season, you really will be stuck!
14. Be prepared to drive... a lot.
Here in the Green Mountian state, even your neighbor's house can be a hike.
15. If you're not creative, you're doomed.
For example, a simple piece of tin kept this wood pile accessible after a surprise winter dump. Be forward thinking, or else.
16. You'll always be considered a flatlander.
If you weren't born in Vermont, you're a flatlander. Even if you moved here one day after you were born, you're a flatlander. This rule is strict and unwavering. If you can't handle this one, you can't handle moving to Vermont. Period.
For more fun, check out these
12 reasons why people from Vermont are unbelievably tough and 17 things you should know about dating someone from Vermont.