Arizona March 15, 2016
Here Are 11 Crazy Traditions You’ll Totally Get If You’re From Arizona
There’s no place quite like Arizona. For every chain restaurant and complaint about how “boring” our state seems, there exists a reasonable counterargument that explains how awesome Arizona is. Not convinced? Here are 11 examples of how Arizona’s culture is definitely different:
1. Perhaps the best one? We sleep right through the bi-annual time changes because Arizona is so awesome, it doesn't need Daylight saving time.
2. All the single people here have another option on February 14: Celebrate Arizona's statehood day instead.
3. We typically determine distance by time instead of miles.
4. Make (or place an order for tamales) during the holidays.
Do you know how many places sell out a couple of days before Christmas? Too many.
5. Everyone forms a definitive opinion on snowbirds: You either love them or you don't.
Not these, the other ones.
6. You also choose a university: You're either a Sun Devil or a Wildcat, especially when it comes to the Territorial Cup.
Went to school out of state? Someone will probably still make you choose.
7. You are either team dust storm or team haboob and people will judge you for which term you choose.
8. We take photos whenever stuff falls from the sky; hail, snow, and rain, no matter how brief.
9. Every year in the hot parts of the state, people attempt to cook food in cars or on the street. On the actual street.
This has even led to an annual egg frying contest in Oatman each July.
10. If you grew up in the state, you were either surrounded by very distinct, traditional seasons…
...or something like this most of the year.
11. In the summer, businesses pad their door handles with something to prevent you from burning your hands and turn on the misters.
What are some other traditions Arizona has that sets us apart from other places in the country?