Here Are 10 Unique Day Trips Near Austin That Are An Absolute Must-Do
Austin bustles with excitement every weekend (and every weekday!), but the capital city isn’t the only place with entertaining attractions. There are some endearing small towns near Austin to explore, as well as gorgeous landscapes and historic landmarks that dazzle visitors year-round. If your regular routine is wearing you down, the 10 best day trips from Austin will revitalize your spirit. You don’t need to travel far to find some much-needed relaxation. These mini-vacations are a magnificent way to explore off-the-beaten-path.
Which day trips around Texas will you do first? What would you add to this list? We’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments!
More to Explore
Best Day Trips From Austin
What are some truly unique things to do around Austin?
Here are some unique places to visit near Austin:
- Pick peaches in Fredericksburg
- Float along the San Marcos River
- Experience small-town charm in Smithville
- Eat BBQ in Lockhart
Austin, Texas seems to get overlooked in favor of larger cities like Dallas and Amarillo, but we think that’s kind of sad – it deserves so much more! There are loads of truly unique things to do around Austin, and we think you’ll love them as much as we do.
- Check out the bizarre (but fun) Cathedral of Junk, which you’ll find a very interesting... well, cathedral of junk! It’s an oddity that requires a small donation to see, but it’s just quirky enough to be perfect.
- Head to Zilker Park and check out the Zilker Botanical Garden, where you’ll find a woodland faerie trail that’s sure to become one of your favorite hiking trails in Austin.
- Oh, and you can’t miss a visit to the Congress Avenue Bridge at sunset. We won’t say what happens when the sun goes down here... but it’s definitely worth witnessing.
Where can I go on fun day trips near me?
The best day trips near Austin are:
- McKinney Falls State Park
- Hamilton Pool
- Shop in Wimberley
Austin is in a great spot within close range of all kinds of excellent day trip options. Some of the best state parks in Texas are close to Austin and make for the PERFECT day trip adventure.
- One of our favorites is the breathtaking Hamilton Pool, which is only 45 minutes from the city and features one of the most beautiful waterfalls near Austin (if not in all of Texas). It’s so popular that you’ll need to get a permit to explore it, but we promise it’s worth the effort.
- We’re also obsessed with Palmetto State Park, which is nestled along the San Marco River and feels so tropical you’ll think you’ve left Texas for Florida!
What are some amazing getaway spots near me?
The best getaway spots near Austin are:
- Jacob's Well in Wimberley
- A trip on the Austin Steam Train
- Exotic Resort Zoo in Johnson City
Who says there’s nothing fun to do in Austin (and its surrounding areas)? We sure don’t, and for good reason: there are some amazing getaways in Austin you’ll fall head over heels in love with, and you won’t want to miss them.
- Some of our favorite getaway destinations in Texas are in or around Austin, like Barons Creekside Resort, in Fredericksburg. It’s a quiet escape from city life that features 26 acres of gorgeous greenery, a crystal-clear creek, and more. Sit beside the water with your person and listen to your troubles melt away.
- Another excellent getaway spot near Austin is just 45 minutes away at the beloved Creek Haven Inn, which is another creekside getaway in Texas that you’re sure to love.