Take These 8 Country Roads In South Carolina For An Unforgettable Scenic Drive
If you’re an explorer, then you love a nice afternoon drive on a beautiful country road. Fortunately, South Carolina is an explorer’s paradise! From the winding mountain roads in the Upstate to the oak tree lined roads in the Lowcountry, the Palmetto State is truly a beautiful place to take a drive off the beaten path. If you’ve been searching for scenic roads in SC, these breathtaking scenic drives in South Carolina meander through all sorts of picture-perfect country backroads and oodles of diverse scenery – and they’re the perfect way to start exploring everything SC has to offer!
Have you traveled any of these byways before? These may be some of the best drives in South Carolina, but I know there are plenty more beautiful byways and country roads to enjoy! What scenic roads in South Carolina would you add to the list? Before you head out, make sure you’ve grabbed everything on our road trip packing list.
If you’d like to admire the Palmetto State from a completely different perspective, check out this fantastic helicopter tour!
More to Explore
Scenic Drives in South Carolina & Related Info
Does South Carolina have any scenic byways?
To be fair, the Palmetto State has so much natural beauty that ANY of our roads could be considered scenic! However, South Carolina does have 21 official scenic byways (both national and state), totaling more than 450 miles of coastal, rural, and picture-perfect geologic views in every corner of the state.
- Ashley River Road
- Bohicket Road Scenic Byway
- Cherokee Foothills Scenic Highway
- Cowpens Battlefield Scenic Byway
- Edisto Beach Scenic Byway
- Falling Waters Scenic Byway
- Fort Johnson Road Scenic Byway
- Hilton Head Island Scenic Byway
- Long Point Road Scenic Byway
- Mathis Ferry Road Scenic Byway
- May River Scenic Byway
- McTeer Bridge Scenic Byway
- Old Sheldon Church Scenic Byway
- Oscar Wigington Scenic Byway
- Plantersville Scenic Byway
- Riverland Drive Scenic Byway
- Savannah River Scenic Byway
- SC 170 Scenic Byway
- US 21 Scenic Byway
- Western York Scenic Byway
What are some of the most beautiful places in South Carolina?
Besides all of it? We might be a little bit biased! Some of our favorite beautiful places in South Carolina include:
- Angel Oak of St. John's Island
- The Battery in Charleston
- Caesar's Head State Park
- Forty Acre Rock, Kershaw
- Kiawah Island
- Hunting Island
- Magnolia Plantation, Charleston
...and so many more!