New Jersey November 17, 2015
12 Things People ALWAYS Ask When They Know You’re From New Jersey
People are always curious about New Jersey, probably because they’re jealous they don’t live here. That may or may not be true, but there are certain questions out-of-staters are bound to ask when they find out you’re from the Garden State.
1. Aren't there needles on the beaches?
No. That was nearly 30 years ago, when a landfill in NEW YORK (Staten Island) could not properly contain medical waste. Beaches all along the Atlantic Coast were shut down.
2. Speaking of beaches, is the Jersey Shore anything like the MTV show?
Contrary to popular belief, the Jersey Shore is not filled with tan, drunken, twenty-somethings. Sure, there are beach bars, but most of the cast wasn't even from New Jersey...
3. So, you're voting for Chris Christie?
We're actually pretty divided.
4. How can you afford to live there?
It isn't easy, but it sure is pretty.
5. Oh, then you live near New York City?
Some of us do, some of us live near Philadelphia, some of us live near neither.
6. Doesn't the state smell?
That's only a tiny area of Turnpike between the swamps and the refineries! Most of the state smells pretty great.
7. How do you deal with all the traffic?
The promise of Sainthood should we manage not to swear.
8. Isn't it all highways and cities?
We have over 800,000 acres of farmland, 430,000 acres of state parks, and 130 miles of coastline. Then we've also got local parks, forests, the pinelands...
9. Do you know anyone in the mob?
We wouldn't tell you if we did.
10. What about Frank? Do you know Frank? He's from Jersey.
We may be small size-wise, but we're one of the most densely populated states in the nation. We probably don't know Frank, unless you're talking Sinatra.
11. Do you know how to pump gas?
Most of us do, but we don't have to. Suckers!
12. Is it hard being so awesome?
We manage. Okay, okay, maybe people don't ask that...but they should.
Which of these do you most relate to? What else do you always get asked when people find out you’re from New Jersey? Let me know in the comments.