Arkansas September 23, 2017
How This Small Arkansas Town Quietly Became The Coolest Place In The South
We’ve talked about Eureka Springs several times. We’ve discussed it as
the small town most likely to show you some paranormal activity. We’ve even talked about how it’s the quirkiest little town in the Natural State. It’s been called one of the best small towns in America by Budget Travel. What we haven’t discussed is how Eureka Springs became the coolest place in the South. Our task today is to look at what, exactly, makes the little Victorian town such a thriving destination city.
1. The whole town is on the National Register of Historic Places.
When folks call Eureka Springs a "Victorian village," they’re not wrong. Everything inside the city limits is on the national historic registry.
2. Natural beauty totally surrounds Eureka Springs.
Its location in the Ozarks makes Eureka Springs the perfect staging ground for trips out into nature.
3. The town is a haven for the arts.
Artists and musicians flock to Eureka, and they keep a thriving art scene alive.
4. The hotels are some of the oldest and most impressive in the Natural State.
The 1886 Crescent and the Basin Park Hotel are two of the oldest hotels around, and it’s said they’re both super haunted, too.
5. The shops downtown are full of hidden treasures.
Unique shops line the streets of downtown Eureka, and they’re totally full of things that will make you want to shop local.
6. The foodie scene is seriously impressive.
Whether you want an old fashioned pizza pie or some farm-to-table fare, you can find it all in Eureka Springs. That’s why foodies love the small town.
7. Eureka Springs has a mind boggling number of attractions.
One thing is absolutely, undeniably true: you could spend a lot of time doing things in Eureka Springs and never have to visit the same attraction twice.
8. You can find wild things there...
Turpentine Creek is a big cat rescue, the largest of its kind in the world that is open to the public.
9. ...but you can also find man-made wonders.
Thorncrown Chapel is the best example of a man-made wonder in Eureka Springs. It’s famous because it is so spectacularly beautiful.
10. The town takes care of its tourists.
There’s even a trolley bus to run you from one end of town to the other, because Eureka Springs cares about how its tourists feel when you’re in the city limits.
11. It’s a romantic place to spend your time...
You’re never going to find Eureka Springs lacking in wedding and anniversary packages at gorgeous little bed and breakfasts.
12. ...but it’s family friendly too.
There are plenty of things for families to do there as well. Everyone is welcome in Eureka.
13. You can never be sure what you might find there.
Eureka’s reputation for eccentricity is certainly not overblown. You’re likely to find things that make you smile on every corner, simply because the town loves to surprise you.
14. Eureka Springs has managed to stay a small town.
Finally, Eureka Springs maintains its appeal by having a population that hovers around 2,000 people. Though you’re not likely to find the streets desolate during times of peak tourism, like the summer or the weekend, this small town isn’t totally overwhelmed with people.
For a list of Arkansas’s best kept secrets,
click here. To see one of the coolest attractions near Eureka Springs, check out this article.