This Open Air Train Ride In Wisconsin Is A Scenic Adventure For The Whole Family
There’s a lot to discover on Door County’s Washington Island – beautiful beaches, historic buildings, and scenic views. But, you need some transportation. Some people opt to take their cars to the island via ferry; others bring their bikes over. But for a carefree – and car free – adventure in Wisconsin, consider hopping aboard one of the best train rides in Wisconsin, the Viking Train. This open air train ride in Wisconsin will take you to some of the island’s best sites and you can leave the driving to someone else. With the Viking Train tours, you can spend more time taking in the beauty of the island and less time looking at maps. Here’s what you need to know about this unique open air train ride in Wisconsin.
Learn more about the Viking Train tours and book tickets for this open air train ride in Wisconsin, as well as the ferry ride on the Island Clipper website. Need accommodations while visiting the island? Check out Booking.com, where you’ll find an array of accommodations – from luxe B&Bs to cozy cabins.
When you get back to the mainland, consider picking up some of the delicious smoked fish sold in Gills Rock at Charlie’s Smokehouse. It’s a famous restaurant in Wisconsin, particularly in Door County tradition!
So, did you know about this open air train ride in Wisconsin? Ever embarked on a Viking Train tour? If so, what’d you think? Or, maybe you know of another open air train ride in Wisconsin? Whatever you have to say, we want to hear it!
More to Explore
Open Air Train Ride In Wisconsin
Aside from Washington Island, what are some other islands in Wisconsin?
There are several islands in Wisconsin. Here are a few other notable Wisconsin islands:
- Madeline Island: The largest of the Apostle Islands and nestled in Lake Superior, Madeline Island is a popular tourist destination that’s known for its natural beauty, outdoor recreation, and historical sites.
- Rock Island: Located within the Washington Island group, Rock Island has been transformed into a state park. A great visit for outdoor enthusiasts, the park boasts scenic trails, historic stone buildings, and the Pottawatomie Lighthouse.
- Stave Island: Located in Green Bay, Stave Island is part of Peninsula State Park, which is known for its amazing hiking trails and beautiful views of the surrounding bay.
Are there any other train rides in Wisconsin?
This open air train ride in Wisconsin is just one option for riding the rails in the Badger State. There are several other train rides in Wisconsin, which are offered by:
- Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad: Visitors to the Wisconsin Great Northern Railroad can enjoy various themed train rides, including dinner trains and holiday-themed rides – all of which offer scenic views of the surrounding Northwoods.
- Mid-Continent Railway Museum: Located in North Freedom, the Mid-Continent Railway Museum offers historic train rides on vintage locomotives and cars. It provides an authentic experience of traveling on a steam-powered train through the scenic Baraboo Hills.
- East Troy Electric Railroad: A heritage railroad, East Troy Electric Railroad offers rides on vintage electric trolleys and railcars. A wonderful experience for all ages, the trains travel through the picturesque countryside between East Troy and Mukwonago.