Washington February 11, 2016
12 Reasons Why Washington Is The BEST State
There’s no doubt that Washington is the best place to live. We’re surrounded by mesmerizing scenery everywhere, and we’re home to some of the most charming small towns, fresh agriculture and more. Here are 12 of the many reasons why there’s no place like the Northwest:
1. We have a little something for everyone.
Washington is one of the most ecologically diverse states in the entire country. We have everything from rainforest to islands, plains, mountains, glaciers, volcanoes and coastline.
2. And we get to fully experience all four seasons.
Some places may not get much of a fall or winter, but we're lucky enough to experience all four seasons individually...and they're each more beautiful than the last.
3. Washington has the largest ferry system in the country.
Our state's ferry system owns 28 vessels and travels around to 20 ports of call across the stunning Puget Sound.
4. We have four of the longest and heaviest floating bridges in the world.
These include the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, the Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge, the Homer M. Hadley Bridge, and the Hood Canal Bridge.
5. You won't find better coffee than the roasts here.
There's a delightful small cafe on nearly every corner in our state serving delicious hot drinks. Some places are just happy to have Starbucks as an option.
6. And our selection of local beer and wine is huge.
The options to choose from are endless around here. We're home to nearly 300 breweries and 850+ amazing wineries.
7. We produce a wide variety of fresh agriculture.
There are so many fantastic foods grown locally. Washington is the largest producers of fresh apples, hops, mint, pears, sweet cherries and wheat. We also rank second in producing apricots, potatoes, grapes and raspberries.
8. We take care of our environment.
Nearly 75% of our state’s power comes from renewable energy sources including hydroelectric, solar and wind. We're also home to the Grand Coulee Dam, which is the largest hydroelectric power producer in the country.
9. Our state has a solid economy.
We're paid at one of the highest minimum wages in the country at $9.47/hour, versus the minimum federal level of $7.25. We're also one of only seven states that won't be charged a state income tax come April.
10. Some of our groundbreaking companies have changed the world.
Not only did Starbucks and Amazon start here, but Nordstrom, REI, Boeing, Aplets & Cotlets, UPS, Eddie Bauer, and several online companies did as well. We're also home of
, Expedia, Big Fish Games, Pop Cap Games and more.
11. We have some of the most unique and charming small towns.
, as pictured, is the most adorable German village you'll ever visit.
is like taking a trip to the Old Wild West, and
is a charming Little Norway on the Fjord. You've got to experience them all once at some point.
12. And there's nothing more breathtaking than seeing the Olympics, Cascades or Mount Rainier in the distance.
Some states may be flat, but we can walk outside and enjoy some of the most spectacular mountainous views everywhere. Pictured is the iconic Mount Rainier from Skate Creek Road.
Isn’t Washington the best? Why do you love living in the Pacific Northwest?