Northern California May 07, 2017
13 Strange Habits Every Northern Californian Will Defend To The Death
We’re all a little weird out here in Northern California, aren’t we? Good thing we like our quirky ways! There are a few things that Northern Californians will do that the rest of the country just doesn’t get, but that doesn’t mean we plan on changing these habits anytime soon.
1. Conserving Water.
We may be out of the woods with the most recent drought, but that is no excuse to be wasteful!
2. Swimming in anything that's deep enough and reasonably clean, no matter how cold it is.
From the Pacific Ocean to the swimming hole in our backyards, we love swimming in water as much as we hate wasting it.
3. Having a festival for almost every kind of food under the sun.
Pictured here is the Ukiah Pumpkin Festival, but we also have Garlic, Asparagus, Oyster, Clam, Wine, and other festivals that happen here every year.
4. Calling all grilled food BBQ.
Apparently some folks, especially those from the South, don't like it when we do it... oh well!
5. Waving to everyone, but especially to construction workers who hold stop signs.
For some reason, we always make a special effort to thank these guys for doing their jobs. Apparently they don't always get that same courtesy everywhere else!
6. Living in the dry heat.
It's not ideal, but it's much preferable to the humid heat they have back east!
7. Preferring rural living to city life.
Why would you want to surround yourself with suburbia and city life when you can have a view like this?
8. And for that matter, preferring our way of life over Southern California's.
This is just a no brainer, wouldn't you agree? We couldn't be more different from that other half of our state if we tried.
9. Being really picky about our fruits and vegetables.
Some of the freshest corn, avocados, mangos, apples, squash and more are all grown right here. We would take farmers market produce over that store bought, non-ripe produce any day.
10. Always taking the back roads.
It's refreshing, more scenic, and more fun to take the road less traveled, even if it tacks on a couple of extra minutes to your commute.
11. Keeping our favorite hangouts a secret.
We won't tell you where this is or what it's called... we know how to keep a secret!
12. Driving everywhere and going on mini road trips.
From the redwoods to the mountain peaks, Northern Californians like to get out and about. And the best way to see it all is definitely by car!
13. Always coming back home again.
So many of us have moved away and found ourselves back here. There's no place like home, and Northern California get's in your soul.
What else should be added to this list? For more things uniquely Northern Californian, keep reading our
entire list of articles.