The Surprising Nebraska Town That Makes An Excellent Weekend Getaway
If you’re looking for somewhere new to explore for your next Nebraska staycation, there’s nothing like discovering the charms of a small town in Nebraska. Aurora may not be the best-known little town in the Cornhusker State, but it sure does make for a memorable, fun-filled weekend getaway in Nebraska. Read on to learn about all of the fun things to do in Aurora Nebraska.
There are so many more local businesses, recreational opportunities, and family-friendly attractions in the area that we couldn’t possibly list them all here. Check out the town’s website to learn a little more, and watch the video below, but really, the best way to discover Aurora is just to visit.
Have you uncovered Aurora, one of Nebraska’s hidden gem towns? Tell us all about it in the comments!
What other little towns would you like to see featured here? Nominate them on our nomination form and you may see them featured in a future article.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
Things to Do In Nebraska
What are some of the best small towns in Nebraska?
There are so many charming small towns in Nebraska, and some of them that you absolutely must visit include:
- Cortland in Gage County is home to just under 500 people, but also to over 40 businesses. Definitely make some time to visit Sleepy Bees Lavender Farm.
- Ashland offers wildlife safaris, a zipline park, and a fantastic aerospace museum. Your time here will be packed full of fun!
- McCook has a great performing arts theater, a charming museum, a library that's over 100 years old, and to top it all off, the only Frank Lloyd Wright-designed house in the state.
Are there any good road trips through Nebraska?
A great way to see all that the state has to offer is to take a road trip through Nebraska. Take a look at some of the best options for hitting the open road:
- The natural wonders in Nebraska road trip is about 14 hours long with ten stops including waterfalls, mountains, rock formations, and more.
- The ghost towns in Nebraska road trip will send a chill up your spine but is well worth it as you'll see six ghost towns in twelve hours of driving.
- The haunted places in Nebraska road trip is oh so spooky! Perfect for a long weekend this trip requires 14 hours of driving, but on the way you will see haunted buildings, restaurants, and a hotel where you can spend the night.
Which are the best spots to go hiking in Nebraska?
To take in all the gorgeous nature of the Cornhusker State, you have to go hiking in Nebraska. Some of the most beautiful spots for a good trek are:
- Cowboy Trail in Valentine-Norfolk used to be a railroad corridor and when completed will be over 300 miles! But you can just pick a small chunk of it to do and still get a lot out of it.
- Olson Nature Preserve in Boone County looks straight out of a fantasy novel and features six unique ecosystems to explore.
- Scotts Bluff National Monument in Scottsbluff was a part of the Oregon trail and you can see evidence of its history during your visit!