Kansas City February 21, 2018
10 Quick Road Trips From Kansas City You Can Take This Weekend
Kansas City might seem busy, but more often than not, we find ourselves with spare time and nothing to do. Have you found yourself with a weekend approaching, and no plans to fill it? Consider some of these quick road trips to take up some of your spare time, and fill your weekend with memories that’ll last forever. Come take a look!
1. Legler Barn Museum — 14907 W 87th St Pkwy., Lenexa, Kansas
The Legler Barn Museum is full of history about Lenexa, and it originally sat on the Santa Fe trail. Browse historical artifacts and learn about towns near Kansas City at this wonderful history museum.
2. Shawnee Mission Park Waterfall (Red Loop trail) — Shawnee, Kansas
This little waterfall is everything from a trickle to a roar to a frozen work of art. Of course, that all depends on when you visit! The Park itself has plenty of other trails to explore, and they're all kept clean and visible.
3. Native Hoofed Animal — Lees Summit, Missouri
This little area near Lake Jacomo is a great place to get up close to some elk and bison. Make sure you bring apples, pears, corn, or carrots with you to feed them!
4. Maple Woods Natural Area — 2603-2617 NE 76th St., Gladstone, Missouri
This stunning wooded area is perfect for a calm hike or even a leisurely stroll. It's only a 1-mile loop, so take your time to really enjoy the scenery.
5. CW Parker Carousel Museum — 320 S Esplanade St., Leavenworth, Kansas
This enchanting carousel museum is home to the oldest working carousel in the country, that still operates but no longer gives rides. However, they have a newer carousel that is available for rides whenever you visit.
6. Fort Osage National Historic Landmark —107 Osage St., Sibley, Missouri
Living History reproductions, as well as artifacts on display from the time period, are what make Fort Osage a great place for a day trip. You'll learn all sorts of historical facts from this place built in 1808.
7. Overland Park Arboretum — 8909 W 179th St., Overland Park, Kansas
This arboretum is perfect for a long walk among the plants and trees. You can also wait until spring when the flowers are all in bloom and colorful. Either way, there's beauty to be seen in any season.
8. Yaya's Alpaca Farm — 30200 E 275th St., Garden City, Missouri
What could be cooler than visiting creatures this adorable? This sounds like a day well spent, in the company of these gentle (and fluffy) animals you can't help but adore.
9. Smithville Lake —
10. Taking the Taco Trail challenge and finding your new favorite.
Of course, if you’re looking for a trip with a little less nature and a little more of the finer aspects of life, why not consider
this winery and vineyards near Kansas City instead?