Cool Off This Summer With A Visit To These 7 Mississippi Swimming Holes
There’s only one way to survive summer in Mississippi – a great swim spot. If you have yet to find such a spot, never fear: we found seven! So, when the summer temps become just too much to bear, cool off with a visit to one of the following glorious Mississippi swimming holes:
So, did you know about these Mississippi swimming holes? Ever visited any of them? Did we miss your favorite place for a refreshing dip? Tell us!
These swimming holes in Mississippi aren’t the only options for cooling off this summer. Read about a scenic beach that is possibly the most beautiful beach in Mississippi.
More to Explore
Mississippi Swimming Holes
Where can I swim in Mississippi?
Mississippi offers several wonderful places where you can enjoy swimming all day long. Here are some popular swimming spots in the state:
- Gulf Coast Beaches: Mississippi's Gulf Coast is lined with beautiful sandy beaches, including Biloxi Beach, Gulfport Beach, and Pass Christian Beach. These beaches provide opportunities for swimming in the warm waters of the Gulf of Mexico.
- Ross Barnett Reservoir (Brandon): Located near Jackson, Ross Barnett Reservoir is a large man-made lake offering various recreational activities, including swimming. The reservoir has designated swimming areas and beaches where you can enjoy a refreshing dip.
- Arkabutla Lake (Hernando): Situated near Hernando, Arkabutla Lake is a scenic reservoir popular for swimming, boating, and fishing. The lake has designated swimming areas and sandy beaches where you can relax and enjoy the water.
- Sardis Lake (Sardis): Sardis Lake, located near the town of Sardis, is another popular destination for swimming and water activities. The lake has several recreational areas with sandy beaches, perfect for a swim on a hot day.
- Okatibbee Lake (Meridian): Okatibbee Lake, near Meridian, is a peaceful lake known for its swimming opportunities. It has designated swimming areas and sandy beaches, making it an ideal spot for a day of water fun.
- Roosevelt State Park (Morton): Roosevelt State Park is a scenic park near Morton that features a large swimming area in Shadow Lake. The lake is surrounded by lush forests, offering a tranquil setting for swimming and picnicking.
- Buccaneer State Park (Waveland): Buccaneer State Park, located in Waveland, has a beautiful man-made beach along the Mississippi Gulf Coast. It offers swimming opportunities in the warm waters of the Gulf and provides amenities such as picnic areas and water slides.
Where is the clearest water in Mississippi?
Mississippi, well known for its charming rivers and lakes, offers some locations with exceptionally clear water. Here are a few places in Mississippi known for their beautiful clear waters:
- Okatibbee Lake: Located near Meridian, Okatibbee Lake often boasts clear water. This picturesque lake is known for its recreational opportunities, including swimming, boating, and fishing. It can provide a refreshing experience in relatively clear waters.
- Ross Barnett Reservoir: Situated near Jackson, Ross Barnett Reservoir is a large man-made lake with relatively clear water. While water clarity can fluctuate depending on weather conditions, the reservoir generally offers enjoyable swimming, boating, and water sports experiences.
- Gulf Islands National Seashore: Mississippi's portion of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, including barrier islands like Horn Island, Petit Bois Island, and West Ship Island, offers the opportunity to experience clearer waters along the Gulf Coast. These pristine coastal areas provide a chance to enjoy the beauty of the Gulf of Mexico's azure waters.
- Tishomingo State Park: Nestled in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains, Tishomingo State Park features Bear Creek, known for its clear and scenic waters. Visitors can explore the creek, go swimming, or simply enjoy the tranquility of the surroundings.