These Secret Swimming Holes Hidden In The Hawaiian Forest Are Sure To Dazzle You
Maui’s Hana Highway is perhaps the most popular scenic drive on the island — and possibly all of Hawaii. This infamous 64.4-mile drive that stretches from Kahului to Hana is popular not for the destination — Hana Town — but for the incredible journey it takes to get there and the natural wonders you’ll find along the way. While many of the stops are overcrowded with tourists, the road to Hana leads to four swimming holes you’ll find hidden in a bamboo forest. These are some of the best swimming homes in Maui, and you might even have them all to yourself.
Because this incredible destination is stream-fed, it is important to issue a friendly warning about the risks associated with flash flooding, and leptospirosis bacteria found in many of Hawaii’s natural pools. It is advised that you check weather reports and ocean conditions before heading out for the day, never swim in these pools when you have open wounds, and to always watch your step. With that warning out of the way, let’s dive in!
This stunning natural oasis is located at 8310 Hana Hwy., Haiku, HI 96708. Have experienced these hidden swimming holes along the road to Hana for yourself? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below. If you’d rather stay on the beaten path, check out this Hawaii waterfalls road trip that takes you to 9 of the best waterfalls found along the Hana Highway.
While in Hana, why not check out the famous Hana Burger? It’s a treat!
More to Explore
Road To Hana Swimming Holes
What are some popular swimming holes in Hawaii?
There are plenty of swimming holes in Hawaii, such as:
- Queen’s Bath. It’s a saltwater swimming hole located on Kauai’s north shore, and it’s stunning. It’s also dangerous, so please be careful.
- Maunawili Falls is popular for good reason. It’s located along a moderate hike and has a fun jump-off point.
Are there other secret swimming holes in Hawaii?
The Aloha State is a popular place, yet there are still plenty of places to find secret swimming holes in Hawaii waiting to be found, such as:
- This trail inside Pua’a Ka’a State Wayside leads to two different swimming holes
What else is there to do along the Road to Hana?
For many, the drive itself is the deal. It’s an incredible journey with lots to see along the way. However, there are fun things to do:
- You will certainly want to stop off to eat. Braddah Hutts BBQ Grill is a wonderful choice. It has a home cooking vibe with large portions. Folks love it.
- You could also try Hana Ranch Restaurant, which receives rave reviews and has a large variety of options. It’s casual, yet it does have a special ambiance guided by the farm-to-table aesthetic.
- There is also an enchanting Hawaiian forest loaded with eucalyptus trees. You should see it! They are beautiful and you can read all about them in the article.