Even when Ohioans travel to other states or countries, we’re pretty easy to spot. From diehard sports rivalries we’ll never let go of to strange pronunciations, there are some undeniable trademarks of those of us who live in Ohio that you won’t always find in other states. The following are just a few definite (and slightly strange) tip-offs that indicate if someone is from Ohio—and we’ll wholeheartedly deny the weirdness of them.
1. We often randomly yell out “O-H” and fully anticipate an “I-O” reply.
It doesn't matter where we are. We want to know where our Ohioans at.
2. We spell our state’s name with our arms and take a photo—no matter where we are.
We do this because WE CAN. You try spelling out Michigan with your arms and see how that goes.
3. We avoid ALL things blue and yellow.
(Is that Michigan fan for real right now?!)
4. Many of us use the term “pop” instead of “soda.”
AND YOU KNOW WHAT WE MEAN SO STOP ACTING LIKE WE’RE ALIENS.
5. We eat large amounts of shredded cheese and chili on top of spaghetti…
…because we dare to be different.
6. We also dip our French fries in our Wendy’s frosty…
…and we were doing it way before it was cool/socially acceptable.
7. We sometimes use the AC and heat in the same day.
You don't have us fooled. We know the concept of four designated seasons is an absolute myth.
8. We can’t seem to agree on the way that “wash” is pronounced.
Sometimes there’s a “r.” Sometimes there isn’t.
9. We usually give directions based on a location’s proximity to a major city and we give them in time increments, not miles.
“It’s an hour outside of Cleveland” will be the sort of answers you get from us and you really can’t expect anything else.
10. Buffalo Wild Wings is “B-Dubs” to us.
Don’t ask for an explanation. That’s just the way it is.
11. Stores such as Meijer, Kroger and JC Penney are referred to in possessive form.
It’s “Meijer’s,” “Kroger’s” and “JC Penney’s” here and we don’t care if that’s wrong because it just feels right to us.
12. We have the epitome of a love/hate relationship with our state. We relentlessly make fun Ohio while claiming it’s the best state there is