These 30 Alabama Towns Have Some Of The Most Bizarre Names Ever
Some of America’s most bizarre town names are found right here in Alabama. And behind most of these bizarre town names is even a more bizarre story of how the names came about. Let’s take a look at 30 of these Alabama towns.
2. Rainbow City, Alabama – Located in the southern portion of Etowah County, Rainbow City remains one of the fastest growing cities in the state.
3. Active, Alabama – Active, an unincorporated community in Bibb County, got its name to reflect the active spirits the residents had.
4. Smelley, Alabama – I’m still not exactly sure how this small Alabama town in Talladega County got its name, but I can only imagine.
7. Five Forks, Alabama – Because five forks are always better than four!
8. Cuba, Alabama – Our Cuba may not be as exotic as the Caribbean island, but at least you can leave your passport at home.
12. Brilliant, Alabama – All the smart ones live here!
13. Needmore, Alabama – Because who doesn’t “needmore” Alabama?
14. Slicklizzard, Alabama – I would absolutely love to find out how this Walker County town got its name.
18. Intercourse, Alabama – An unincorporated community in Sumter County, Intercourse is named for the traffic intersection of the town’s crossroads. What did you think I was going to say? Okay, now you can get your mind out of the gutter.
19. Climax, Alabama – Yes, we even have a Climax. I’m not even kidding!
20. Seman, Alabama – And a Seman, too!
23. Chigger Hill, Alabama – Chigger Hill, an unincorporated community in DeKalb County, got its name because the original settlers had to combat a serious infestation of mites. Yikes!
24. Boar Tush, Alabama – Also called Boartusk, Boar Tush is an unincorporated community in Winston County. I’m unsure of how this town name came about, but I’m willing to bet boars were somehow involved.
26. Leggtown, Alabama – Well, unless of course we live in Leggtown.
27. Scratch Ankle, Alabama – The way this Monroe County community got its name is train workers would often see the locals scratching their ankles from mosquito bites.
Well, there you have it! A list of 30 Alabama town names that many would consider bizarre. Please keep in mind that many of these places aren’t incorporated, but they were once a town and many still remain on the state map. This is not an all-inclusive list, so if you can think of any other bizarre Alabama town names, please leave them in the comments below.