South Carolina February 17, 2017
15 Indisputable Reasons Why It’s Not Always Easy Being From South Carolina
South Carolina is the greatest place in the country to live and raise a family. The Palmetto State has amazing natural resources, safe and friendly communities in which to live, and people that are kind to one another. But, there are some drawbacks to living here; things that actually make it not always easy to be from paradise, a.k.a. South Carolina. Take a look:
1. It's hard leaving the state for a vacation.
Why leave when the best beaches are right here? Unless you're going skiing or visiting family out of state there's just no reason to leave.
2. If you DO happen to vacation at another beach not in South Carolina...
you almost always end up craving the beaches at home.
3. When you're from here, it's not always easy to fit in when you go other places.
Plus it's easy to get overwhelmed by the sheer size of major cities and their crowded streets.
4. You can always count on a fellow South Carolinian to lend a helping hand...
but when you're traveling out of state you can't always count on someone to stop and help out.
5. Traveling out of state can have other unexpected challenges.
For example, stopping at a country store in another southern state to ask for directions. Sometimes their accents may make you wish you had a translator.
Being from, and living in, South Carolina your whole life means you've never really seen that much snow. Sometimes, you secretly wish for a pile of snow.
Being from South Carolina means you could wind up on the losing side of the annual Clemson/Carolina game. If it happens, you sometimes wish you could just pretend the sport doesn't exist until next season - but in the end you know your team still needs you.
8. When someone says something upsetting and you feel like THIS on the inside but,
you have to remain composed and eek out a heartfelt, "Well, bless your heart," instead of speaking your mind.
9. If you travel to other mountainous regions of the country...
they're just not the same. Probably because South Carolina is "home."
10. The food!
We're definitely spoiled in South Carolina. There are so many great restaurants with creative chefs that make every dining experience more than just a meal.
11. Loyalty + Craving + Uncontrollable urge to eat D O N U T S
All of the above mean a South Carolinian has a hard time passing a Krispy Kreme -- especially if the "hot and now" sign is lit. That's not a bad thing necessarily, unless it happens every day.
12. Speaking of food items, these are hard to find in other parts of the country.
If you leave the state it's really hard to find good boiled peanuts.
13. You get used to your fellow South Carolinians being just generally friendly.
People from the Palmetto State are just naturally friendly. It's one of the reasons everyone wants to come to South Carolina. When you travel elsewhere you're a little disappointed that you weren't greeted by someone waving flags and smiling.
14. While we're on the subject of people visiting South Carolina...
you may have noticed your family prefers to come visit you. But since we South Carolinians would rather staycation anyway it all works out in the end.
15. We love our slower paced lives in the Palmetto State.
Outsiders don't always get it.
For more South Carolina pride, read
13 Things Anyone Who’s Moved Away From South Carolina Has Thought At Least Once. If you love all things South Carolina then you’ll love this list of 15 Inventions That Came From South Carolina.