North Carolina December 01, 2015
11 Things People From North Carolina Will Never Ever Admit (Out Loud)
Pride is an interesting thing. It inhibits a lot of our natural responses and reactions to certain subjects. But sometimes pride, or even a little white lie, is crucial. North Carolinians have a lot of pride – about our southern heritage, about our culture, and most importantly, about our state. But like I said, pride is a tricky animal and some of these things we’ve
wanted to say, but just can’t!
1. Some of us have never been to the Biltmore House.
Hey, life gets hectic, and sometimes we can't always get around to checking out the most beautiful places in our state. Of course we know the Biltmore and are acquainted with the history, but this doesn't mean we've visited multiple times or even once.
2. Or a college basketball game.
Time, money, resources...those UNC vs. Duke tickets are not cheap. It doesn't make our fandom any less.
3. We'll eat the other BBQ.
East vs. Lexington style is a real debate in our state. Of course, we all have our favorites. But if we love Lexington BBQ that doesn't mean we still don't think somewhere like B's BBQ in Greenville isn't delicious.
4. It doesn't matter if we're residents, NC Universities and Colleges are still extremely hard to get into.
And sometimes, it actually works against us that we are residents. For seniors applying to prestigious colleges in North Carolina, it can be extremely hard and sometimes it almost feels like they select students blindly. We all had that one friend with the perfect GPA who got rejected from Carolina and the other friend with a so-so GPA who somehow got in.
5. Our beaches are beautiful but the water can be a bit scary to swim in.
Shark attacks? Rip currents? Yeah, even the locals use some caution when going 'above the knees' in the Atlantic. Especially in the OBX where the rip current can be deadly.
6. There's been times we couldn't wait to leave North Carolina.
Our state is beautiful, but for some people it takes leaving or moving away to realize that.
7. There are times we're ashamed of our goverment.
I won't talk politics here, because to each their own, but this is very true...for whichever side you're on.
8. Sometimes we don't want to use the 'proper southern mannerisms' - we just want to be direct.
Basically, tell me how you really feel!
9. Some of us have mixed feelings about Asheville.
Asheville is an amazing, beautiful place. But does it have to be sooo weird all of the time?
10. Raleigh and Charlotte are cool, but our small towns and cities are cooler.
Ok, I love both. I really enjoy the mix. But if you're looking for real, true history then visiting one of our small towns is your best bet.
11. Sometimes it feels as if we'll never finish checking off our waterfall and hiking trail bucket list.
With over 200 waterfalls in Transylvania County alone, and numerous hiking trails and mountains to explore, our 'bucket list' can sometimes seem impossible to finish! Not to mention, it seems that we're always discovering new places to explore in our state (not a bad thing!).
None of these are necessarily bad things; they’re just simple truths to living in such an amazing state! What would you add to the list? Tell us in the comments.