The Marvelous 8-Mile Trail In New Jersey Leads Adventurers To A Little-Known Overlook
New Jersey might be a densely populated, highly urban state, but that doesn’t mean it lacks stunning natural havens where you can get away from it all. One of those is the Abram S. Hewitt State Forest in West Milford, a relaxing escape into the woods that I always tell people is home to an amazing underrated place to enjoy hiking in NJ. The Bearfort Ridge and Surprise Lake Loop is an eight-mile trail that’s considered moderately difficult, and it will take you past beautiful scenery to an incredible overlook of one of the state’s most beautiful bodies of water. The trail is accessible during all times of the year and can be explored in under four hours. Whether you’re there for spotting wildlife, taking photographs, or just having a leisurely day hike, this hidden gem of a hike is a wilderness adventure I know you won’t soon forget!
If you were to do a search for “best hikes near me,” this trail would most certainly pop up at the top of the list!
Have you explored the Bearfort Ridge and Surprise Lake Loop in Abram S. Hewitt State Forest? Do you see now why I think it is one of the best hikes in New Jersey? What are some of your favorite New Jersey hiking trails? Let us know about your experiences in the comments section. You can visit the New Jersey State Park Service website for more on what to expect at this state forest.
Want to explore winter hikes in and around the area? You can find some great trails by going to the AllTrails website.
For another wilderness adventure in New Jersey, why not explore this underrated reservoir?
If you’re still in the mood for more New Jersey adventures, take a look at this video:
More to Explore
More Garden State Adventures
Where can we find botanical gardens in New Jersey?
- The Greenwood Gardens in Short Hills is a 28-acre garden home to ponds, meadows, woodlands and, of course, flowers.
- The Deep Cut Gardens in Middletown encompasses 54 acres of stunning gardens and greenhouses.
- The Presby Memorial Iris Gardens in Upper Montclair has a collection of 1,500 varieties, 10,000 plants, and 100,000 blooms each season.
Read on to learn more about some of the many other beautiful botanical gardens in New Jersey.
Where can we find the best resorts in New Jersey?
- The Nassau Inn in Princeton is a historic hotel with its luxurious accommodations and on-site restaurant.
- The Chateau Inn and Suites in Spring Lake is great for a family getaway and within walking distance of the town's two-mile boardwalk, beaches, and more!
- Harrah's Resort Atlantic City in Atlantic City is popular for its gorgeous indoor pool oasis complete with a poolside bar.
Read on to learn more about some of the many other fantastic resorts in New Jersey.
Where can we find museums in New Jersey?
- Princeton University Art Museum in Princeton encompasses three floors of stunning galleries and exhibits.
- The New Jersey State Museum in Trenton is a popular destination for families and has a fantastic planetarium.
- The New Jersey Maritime Museum in Beach Haven focuses on everything related to maritime history in New Jersey.
Read on to learn more about some of the many other wonderful museums in New Jersey.