Nevada November 28, 2016
10 Charming Nevada Towns That Are Picture Perfect In The Winter
Nevada’s towns, both big and small, are marked by historic architecture and natural landscapes. Winter in particular can really highlight the beauty of Nevada. With a dusting of snow or special holiday lighting, “picture perfect” views of our cities emerge.
1. Genoa is reportedly the oldest town in Nevada. It's also the home of "Snowshoe Thompson" who was a mail carrier back in the 1800's. He is credited with inventing snowshoes. His remains are buried in the cemetery at Genoa and the town also features this statue in his memory.
2. Winnemucca is the only incorporated city in Humboldt County on the northern end of the state. It was named for Chief Winnemucca of the Paiute tribe that inhabited the territory. Winnemucca has a semi-arid climate and winters have light snowfall.
3. The capital of Nevada, Carson City, is a delightful place to visit in the winter. The town is filled with Christmas cheer, such as the annual lighting of the Governor's Mansion. The mansion is not only the home of the state governor and his or her family, but is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
4. Virginia City is another town with a strong historical flare and a love for Christmas. Each year they hold a Christmas in the Comstock celebration. The town is full of holiday decorations, making for a beautiful night-time image.
5. Ely is the home of the Nevada Northern Railway. This is a "heritage railway" which is a railway preserved to demonstrate a specific time period in the history of trains and the country.
6. A lovely evening view of Water Street on Henderson on Christmas Eve. Water Street is the government and downtown hub for the city. It's also the landing point for Henderson's historic walking tour
7. Reno, "the Biggest Little City in the World." is a major winter destination for snow sports enthusiasts. It's close to the Sierra Nevadas and to Lake Tahoe. It's also a major tourism location for casino lovers. All the lights in the city produce amazing views at night all year round.
8. Elko is the largest city in Elko County in the northeastern corner of the state. The city is the home of both the National Cowboy Poetry Gathering and the National Basque Festival.
9. Stateline is located on Lake Tahoe's eastern shore. The town is primarily tourism-focused because of its location on the lake. Boat tours of the lake are very popular and are available in the winter.
10. Many would say that Las Vegas looks like a Christmas tree all year round with all the lights and glitter from the casinos on the Strip. Winter stands out as the time of year that there are even MORE lights and decorations for locals and tourists to enjoy.
Do you have a favorite town in Nevada during the winter? Share in the comments!