Few People Know The Ptarmigan Tunnel In Montana's Glacier National Park Even Exists
Glacier National Park is full of famous landmarks. Between the iconic Lake McDonald and the legendary Going-to-the-Sun Road, the park is home to some of the most recognizable spots in the state. But unless you’ve explored our state to its fullest, you may not realize that some of the most beautiful places in Montana are actually hidden away from the crowds! Even when it comes to the spectacular and much-loved GNP. Few Montanans and even fewer visitors are aware of the Ptarmigan Tunnel in Glacier National Park… but this is one tucked-away hidden gem you won’t want to miss.
Had you ever heard of the Ptarmigan Tunnel? It’s just one of many reasons to fall in love with GNP! Of course, it should go without saying that this piece of history is a true treasure that we want to keep clean and safe for years to come – pack it in, pack it out!
What are some of your favorite things to do at Glacier National Park? Do you have any tips on how to make the most of your visit? For more inspiration, check out this incredible drone footage of Glacier National Park:
If riding through a tunnel is more your style, the longest tunnel in Montana is just as historic and doesn’t require any hiking!
More to Explore
Glacier National Park & Related Info
What are some of the most unique museums in Montana?
Historic hikes are one thing, but history truly comes alive at Montana's local museums. Whether you love learning about the state's geologic and prehistoric history or are hoping to uncover more about the settlement of the West, physics, art, and everything in between, Montana has plenty of museums to satisfy even the most curious visitor. You'll quickly find that small-town specialty and massive galleries alike can be found in every corner of the state...and maybe even a few oddities as well! Some of the best and most unique museums in Montana include:
- American Computer & Robotics Museum, Bozeman
- Children's Museum of Montana, Great Falls
- Gallatin History Museum, Bozeman
- Glendive Dinosaur & Fossil Museum, Glendive
- Historic Dumas Brothel Museum, Butte
- Holter Museum of Art, Helena
- Little Bear Schoolhouse Museum, Bozeman
- Miracle of America Museum, Poison
- Missoula Art Museum, Missoula
- Montana Museum of Art & Culture, Missoula
- Museum of the Rockies, Bozeman
- Old Trail Museum, Choteau
- Range Riders Museum, Miles City
- Stonehenge Air Museum, Lincoln County
- Winifred Museum, Winifred