Kansas City February 07, 2018
10 Undeniable Habits That No Kansas Citian Can Ever Unlearn
Kansas Citians are some of the nicest Midwesterners you’ll ever meet. We’re fiercely loyal, inventive, and we have a love for food that no one else understands. Some habits you might not think twice about, but once you notice them, you’ll always notice them. These undeniable traits are something we just happen to share, and we pass them to anyone who moves into town. How many of these habits do you have?
1. Wearing your flip-flops until they flip their last flop.
Flip flops are in season until your toes might get frostbite, I always say. Plus, why waste a good pair of flops that's conformed to my feet and shows how much I've explored this year?
2. Taking an umbrella everywhere you go.
Might as well take a heavy blanked or a coat with you, too. You never know when you'll be stranded on a trip or out in the rain.
3. Keeping yourself stocked for winter storms... just in case.
For some reason, every storm is "snowmageddon," and local grocery stores can't keep up with the people's need for bread and milk. Stock up early!
4. Giving a smile or friendly wave to people you lock eyes with.
Not only is it polite, but you might just be brightening someone's day who really needed it.
5. Understanding distance in terms of time better than miles.
"How far away is that?" is the question, but your answer will probably be in time, not miles. I need schedule information, not distance!
6. You add a possessive "s" to store names like JCPenney and Aldi.
You'll hear this one a lot, but I've never heard where it actually came from. I just know it's crazy common here in the city.
7. Having friendly arguments about which BBQ joint is best.
LC's? Arthur Bryant's? Whatever your favorite may be, you probably have a friend (or three) that have a different opinion. I guess we'll just have to taste them all!
8. Getting lost and accepting your fate.
For some reason, Kansas Citians get lost in town a lot. Whether it's due to traffic, construction, or strange road mapping, we've all been there. You'll learn... eventually... maybe... oh, who are we kidding, we'll always find a way to get turned around here.
9. Trying new restaurants all the time, even though you have tried and true favorites.
There's so many restaurants in and around town that you can easily dine at a new one every day for a couple years. If that's not enough variety, I don't know what is!
10. Being enthralled with the beauty of our city.
Our sunrises, sunsets, and even our skyline are all worth appreciating every day. After all, there's no city as beautiful as ours.
How many of these KC habits do you have? Are there others that you would add to this list? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
If you’re new in town, or just want a good chuckle, check out this list of
ways to make a Kansas Citian cringe.