Michigan December 30, 2016
13 Things Every Michigander Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
We Michiganders sure are a friendly bunch. We’re glad to welcome tourists from near and far, and our towns and cities are perfectly designed to bring in crowds of visitors each and every year. But there are a few things about Michigan that just need a little extra explaining. Here’s your ultimate list of messages every Michigander wants to send to the rest of the country.
1. Our freshwater beaches are just as beautiful as oceans.
Non-Michiganders often write off our Great Lakes as just that — lakes. But these aren’t your ordinary inland lakes with thin shores and shallow waters. These lakes are just as magnificent as the world’s oceans, minus the threat of sharks!
2. We don’t want you to forget about our Upper Peninsula.
Michigan is often called the Mitten State, but there’s a whole new world of natural beauty to explore in the Upper Peninsula. Any “Yooper” will tell you that the U.P. is a true wonderland of nature and history.
3. Our state is more than just farmland.
We’ve got mountains, waterfalls, rolling hills, gorges, islands, and everything in between.
4. That fizzy stuff we drink? It’s called “pop.”
Don’t even bother calling it “soda.” We won’t reply.
5. Euchre is the only card game that really matters.
Sure, poker is fun, but it’s no euchre. And we promise to beat you if you challenge us.
6. Despite its troubled past, Detroit has so much to offer.
We’re well aware that Detroit has suffered greatly from financial and social woes in recent years, but don’t let that color your overall perception of the Motor City. Detroit’s difficulties have given way to new growth and revitalization throughout the area.
7. We’ll defend our sports teams with everything we have.
Despite the fact that the Detroit Lions have been known to let us down repeatedly, we’ll never stop rooting for them. The same is true for the Tigers, Pistons, and Red Wings.
8. If you’ve never tasted a pasty, you’re missing out.
Life without pasties is no life at all. We feel sorry for residents of other states who might not have easy access to this utterly delicious Michigan-made dish. Never pass up an opportunity to try one — your taste buds will thank you.
9. You can never go wrong with a Michigan-made product.
Whether you’re buying jam made with Michigan cherries, eating a pie stuffed with Michigan blueberries, or sipping on a freshly brewed pint from New Holland Brewing, you’re sure to be delighted.
10. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with using your hand as a map.
We’ve been doing things this way for years, and we won’t stop now.
11. Don’t even try complaining to us about the weather in your state.
Unless you’ve experienced a few months of weather in Michigan, which can often switch from heavy snow in the morning to 70 degrees and sunshine by the evening, you’ll never truly understand what it means to be aggravated by nature.
12. We’ve got plenty of arts and culture.
Michigan is responsible for everything from Motown music to the automobile to an annual tulip festival. We’re a state with a rich, diverse population and plenty of unique culture to be discovered.
13. We’re fiercely proud to be from the Great Lakes State.
Out-of-staters should know that we're loyal to our stunning and beloved state. From its magnificent natural beauty to its overwhelming options for entertainment and exploration, Michigan is truly one of a kind.
Alright, fellow Michiganders: it’s your turn. What would you like to say to the rest of the United States?