Iowa Trips April 12, 2016
by Michaela Kendall The Ultimate And Definitive Bucket List For Everyone In Iowa
There are so many things to see and do in the beautiful, underrated state of Iowa. With all of the incredible nature and unique culture to experience, there are countless adventures to be had. From simple things such as enjoying a meal at one of Iowa’s unique eateries, to wild adventures such as hiking the Loess Hills or kayaking the Upper Iowa River, here are 25 things to check off of your Iowa bucket list:
1. Relax on the beach at one of the Iowa Great Lakes in Dickinson County.
2. Take a road trip on the Loess Hills Scenic Byway, and do some hiking at Preparation Canyon.
3. Marvel at the Eighth Wonder of the World - the Grotto of the Redemption in West Bend.
4. Kayak down the magnificently beautfiul Upper Iowa River near Bluffton.
5. Discover ancient fossils at the Devonian Fossil Gorge in Iowa City.
6. Pay your respects to Rock and Roll legends at the Surf Ballroom Museum in Clear Lake.
7. Go on your own island vacation with a trip to Sabula - Iowa's only island city.
8. Cheer on the Iowa Cubs at Principal Park in Des Moines.
9. Go for a ride on the shortest and steepest railway in the world - the Fenelon Place Elevator Car in Dubuque.
10. Travel across central Iowa on a hot air balloon during the National Balloon Classic in Indianola.
11. Unleash your inner football fan at the Iowa vs. Iowa State game.
12. Cheer on the underdog at a camel race at Prairie Meadows Racetrack in Altoona.
13. Spend a day eating your weight in fried food at the Iowa State Fair.
14. Catch your thrills on one of the many rides at Adventureland.
15. Eat, drink and bike your way across the state during RAGBRAI.
16. Go hiking at Pike's Peak State Park in McGregor, and check out Bridal Veil Falls.
17. Take a relaxing train ride on the Boone and Scenic Valley Railway.
18. Explore the subterranean caverns at Maquoketa Caves State Park.
19. Grab brunch at Iowa's oldest restaurant - Breitbach's Country Dining in Balltown.
20. Eat some of the best pizza of your life at Bombfire Pizza in Sabula.
Editor's Note: Bombfire Pizza is permanently closed.
21. Admire the Sistine Chapel recreated in spray paint at Galleria de Paco in Waterloo.
Editor's Note: Galleria de Paco is permanently closed.
22. Enjoy lunch in a gorgeous old bank building at the Ladora Bank Bistro in Ladora.
Editor's Note: Ladora Bank Bistro is permanently closed.
23. Sit down for dinner and live music in a historic old general store at The General Store Pub in Stone City.
24. Drink Dandelion wine, eat schnitzel, and explore the German villages of the Amana Colonies.
25. Eat Dutch Letters, sport a pair of wooden clogs, and stop to smell the tulips in the charming Dutch city of Pella.
How many of these things have you done already? What else is on your Iowa bucket list? Let us know in the comments.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.