The Story Behind This Creepy Illinois Asylum Will Give You Goosebumps
Illinois has its share of haunted places, but there may be none more creepy than Ashmore Estates. It was originally a poorhouse, but it was then bought and turned into an insane asylum. The asylum closed in 1987, and it sat dormant for years. Now, it has been renovated. But no amount of cleaning can remove the spirits that haunt the property.
1. Ashmore Estates was an asylum that operated from 1959 to 1986.
2. It originally operated as an almshouse, but the conditions, which included bugs, rats, and very poor ventilation, made for a fairly lousy existence for its residents.
3. Paranormal activity at Ashmore Eatates has landed it appearances on TV shows like "Ghost Adventures" and "Ghost Hunters."
4. People who have toured the building have reported feeling cold, seeing spirits, hearing voices, and just generally feeling quite ill.
5. Remodeling was a huge chore because, in addition to being in terrible disrepair, it had been heavily vandalized over the years. A former owner planned to renovate the building and turn it into a residence, but the constant vandalism proved too difficult to stop.
6. The building has a mixed history; at times it provided much-needed shelter for people, and at others, was very unsafe, unhealthy, and oppressive. Recently, it served as a haunted house attraction.
7. It no longer operates as a haunted house, but people can book appointments to conduct paranormal investigations here--and they certainly have lots of material.
Ashmore Estates is going to be celebrating its 100th birthday this year. There will be a party, and I bet it’ll be spirited.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.