Delaware January 03, 2018
9 Incredible, Almost Unbelievable Facts About Delaware
We all know the “standard” Delaware facts – like it was the First State, the second smallest state, and all about Fort Delaware. But… did you know any of the following? Read below for some weird facts about Delaware.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1. Miles the Monster weighs as much as 4,000 cats.
Or three Tyrannosaurus Rex. Yup, our largest monster is
2. You can fit the entire populations of Dover, Rehoboth Beach, Newark, Middletown and Delaware City into Dover Downs.
The capacity of the racetrack is a conservative 95,500. That's a few hundred more than all of those towns put together!
3. Delaware has more shoreline than the US Virgin Islands and Guam combined.
We've got 381 miles of shoreline thanks to our marshes, bays, and streams. The US Virgin Islands have 174 miles of coast, and Guam only has 110 miles of coast.
4. There are 3,500 DuPont family members - and there are 50 towns in Delaware with a population below that.
The vast majority of Delaware towns have fewer than even 2,000 residents.
5. The DuPonts are worth $14.5 billion - or enough to give every man, woman, and child in Ireland five iPhones.
Why iPhones? Why the Irish? Who knows, but the DuPonts could make it happen.
6. There are over 200 times more chickens than people in Delaware.
This one's no surprise to anyone who's driven through Sussex County on a hot day with the windows down.
7. You can fit 36.5 Districts of Columbia into Delaware.
Everyone is always saying you can fit "x number of Delawares" into states, counties, countries... well, we could hold nearly 37 Washington, D.C.s!
8. There are more businesses incorporated in Delaware than there are people living in Delaware.
Over 50% of publicly traded companies in the U.S. are incorporated in Delaware - that's well over 1,000,000 businesses.
9. Delaware is actually the home of Superman.
While nobody's exactly admitted it, drawings and works by DC comics editor Paul Kupperberg suggest that Metropolis is actually located in Delaware. In the 2006 film "Superman Returns," the Metropolis license plates bear the slogan, "The First State."
What are your favorite Delaware fun facts? And did you know that, for being such a tiny state, Delawareans have invented such cool things as our Apollo spacesuits?
Read up about more things that come from Delaware here!