Some People Don’t Know That Delaware Was The First To Do These 8 Things
Everyone knows that Delaware is the First State, but did you know how many Delaware firsts we can claim responsibility for? Our little state is a big pioneer – look at all of the things we started!
That “Delaware started chicken” story is probably our favorite bit of Delaware lore! Did you know about any of these things Delaware did first? If so, which ones? What’s your favorite story from Delaware’s history? Do you know about any other Delaware inventions?
We’d love to read about your experience in the comments section below!
Read on to learn about these 7 crazy world records that are held by Delawareans.
If you’re still in the mood for more First State adventures, take a look at this video:
More to Explore
Out and about in Delaware
Where can we find historic attractions in Wilmington?
- The Kalmar Nyckel tells the story of the first settlers who sailed into the state.
- The Old Swedes Historic Site encompasses the oldest church in the state and a cemetery representing the land the Swedes purchased from the Native American tribes here in the 1600s.
- The Hagley Museum is the site of some of the first gunpowder mills built by E.I. DuPont.
Read on to learn about some of the many other fantastic historic attractions in Wilmington.
Where can we find the best restaurants in Delaware?
- The Border Café in Newark specializes in a mix of Tex-Mex and Cajun food.
- Dogfish Head Brewings & Eats in Rehoboth Beach is known for its great beers and desserts.
- Harry's Savoy Grill in Wilmington is a Delaware institution and known as "Delaware's Premier Steakhouse."
Read on to learn about some of the many other delicious restaurants in Delaware.
Where can we find state parks in Delaware?
- Fox Point State Park in Wilmington offers a wide variety of recreational activities including a paved biking and walking path, scenic picnic areas, and bald eagle habitats.
- The Auburn Heights Preserve in Yorklyn features scores of trails, a paper mill, and the Queen Anne mansion.
- White Clay Creek State Park in Newark encompasses a nature center, fishing creek, and disc golf course.
Read on to learn about many other amazing state parks in Delaware.