Arizona August 10, 2017
Here Are The Oldest Photos Ever Taken In Arizona And They’re Incredible
If there is anything photography is able to showcase better than any other art, it is the passage of time. One look at any photograph will give you a sense of the year it was taken and the lives it depicts. Today, we’re going to take a look at some photos that show off the state in its early years as Arizona Territory. It’ll give you some insight into how much this land has changed in nearly 150 years.
1. A group of Navajo wagons sit outside Hubbell’s Trading Post in Ganado (ca. 1870).
2. Boats drift into the Colorado River from Camp Mohave, near present day Bullhead City (ca. 1871).
3. A young man stands next to a new train track at Johnson Canyon near Ash Fork (ca. 1871).
4. A member of the Powell Expedition poses in Glen Canyon (1872).
5. A member of the Wheeler Expedition sketches White House ruins in Canyon de Chelly (1873).
For those curious, these expeditions were conducted to survey the land and create maps of the western portion of the United States.
6. A Navajo mother and her child sit for a photo in Canyon de Chelly (1873).
7. A group of Apaches and others stand outside a wikiup near Camp Apache (1873).
8. The moments before a soldier’s execution in Prescott (1877).
Unfortunately, there’s no information provided on the reason for hanging.
9. Members of the Aztec Land and Cattle Company of Holbrook pose for a photo (ca. 1877).
10. A look at one of the shafts of the Toughnut Mine in Tombstone (1880).
11. Here’s a look at Tombstone as its population was growing (ca. 1881). At the time of this photo, it had a population of 4,000!
12. A team of oxen transport people and supplies through a portion of Arizona (1883).
13. A diverse group stands outside Hovey’s Dance Hall in Clifton (1884).
14. An infantry crosses the Gila River near San Carlos, located about 21 miles east of Globe (ca. 1885).
15. A military parade marches down a street in Phoenix (ca. 1888).
Wow, those were incredible!
If you want to check out more photos of Arizona in its early statehood days, you will love looking through the collection in
25 Rare Photos Taken In Arizona During The Great Depression.