Washington June 02, 2015
20 Indisputable Reasons Why Everyone Should Love Washington
The West Coast is also the Best Coast, and not just because it rhymes! From the striking scenery to the quality homegrown food, here are 20 indisputable reasons you’ll fall in love with the state of Washington:
20. You can refuel at the oldest operating gas station in Zillah, WA. It's short and stout, and it's ADORABLE.
19. Starbucks. Amazon. You're welcome.
18. Northgate Mall in Washington was the first shopping center in the United States to be described as a mall, and the first to have public restrooms. Shop 'til you drop!
17. The first revolving restaurant in the U.S. can be found in Seattle's own Space Needle. Enjoy a fabulous view of the city while dining on great food? Yes please!
16. Four of the five longest floating bridges in the world are right here in Washington. They include the Evergreen Point Floating Bridge, the Lacey V. Murrow Memorial Bridge, the Homer M. Hadley Bridge, and the Hood Canal Bridge.
15. The world’s first soft-serve ice cream machine was in a Dairy Queen in Olympia, WA. And the world was forever changed.
14. We've ranked first in producing red raspberries, apples, cherries, pears, and grapes. You could say life here is pretty sweet.
13. There's amazing people, everywhere. Bill Gates, Bill Nye, and lots of other well-known icons reside here.
12. Have you SEEN the natural beauty around here? Our jaw-dropping forests, mountains, sunsets, and landscapes will take your breath away.
11. We're ground-breaking. The kidney dialysis machine and portable heart defibrillator were developed in Washington...and don't forget about Cinnabon. Delicious, delicious Cinnabon.
10. With great scenery comes remarkable wildlife - up to 5,000 wild horses roam the Yakama Indian Reservation of Washington.
9. Move over, Niagara Falls. Snoqualmie Falls plunges 100 feet further!
8. Think vintage cars are awesome? Wait 'til you check out the world's largest car collection in Tacoma, WA.
7. In the contiguous U.S., Washington has more glaciers than all of the other states combined. Did we mention NATURAL BEAUTY?
6. If you drink beer or wine, you'll enjoy the variety here. We're the second largest producer of wine in the country with more than 350 wineries. Plus, we create about 70% of the nation's hops for beer. Cheers!
5. Seattle is the place to turn up the volume. Nirvana, Jimi Hendrix, Sir Mix-A-Lot, and Macklemore all root from here, to name a few.
4. We know how to celebrate. “The Wave”, a popular cheer at sports and events, was started by Husky fans at the University of Washington!
3. Got milk? We do. Washington’s cows produce more milk per cow than any other state!
2. Our state is one of seven that doesn't charge a personal income tax, and in 2014 we paid the highest minimum wage in the country at $9.32 an hour, versus the lowest at $7.25. Dolla dolla bills, y'all.
And last, but not least...
We're the ONLY state to be named after a president.
We're just that special!
Every place has its own perks… but you have to admit, this state is hard not to like! Why do YOU love Washington? Share in the comments below!