The Wilson Castle is a stunning nineteenth-century estate in Proctor. Built in 1867, the castle is now operated as a house museum and is open daily for tours until late October. The castle is kicking off the fall season with their first annual “Zombie Prom,” and this is the perfect setting since some believe that the castle is haunted. Check out the amazing history and gather your friends for a deviously spectacular prom night!
Set on 115 acres of grounds, the Wilson Castle was built in 1867 and has 32 rooms on 3 stories.
The facade is built of English brick and French marble with 19 proscenium arches, 84 stained glass windows, 2 turrets, parapet and a balcony.
It’s interior is equally as elaborate.
The interior has 13 fireplaces finished with imported tiles and bronze, with furnishings including Asian and European antiques, statuary, Chinese scrolls, and oriental rugs.
No expenses were spared.
The property also has a large greenhouse/conservatory as well as an aviary.
The house was built by Vermont-born physician John Johnson.
Planning and construction of the house lasted for nearly eight years, and cost $1,300,000.
John Johnson’s history.
Johnson met his wife in England while studying medicine, and he employed at least two English architects in the design of the house and its eighteen outbuildings.
The Johnsons remained in the house only briefly.
The castle was repossessed when Mrs. Johnson died, and Dr. Johnson was unable to afford taxes or maintenance.
Antiques and valuables were auctioned off or taken by unpaid employees.
Due to this, the locals began to call the castle "Johnson's Folly."
Grand Reception Hall
This huge room measuring 53' long by 14' wide was once the grand reception hall designed to impress guests who entered the front door. This photo was taken back in the 1970s.
From the 1880s until 1939, the property changed hands four times.
In 1939, Herbert Lee Wilson, a pioneer in radio, purchased the estate and created radio station WHWB-AM in its stable.
Wilson joined the United States Army Signal Corps during the Second World War, and retired in the 1950s with the rank of Colonel.
Facebook/Wilson Castle Restoration
He died in 1981 and left the estate to his daughter, who died in 2009.
Five generations of the Wilson family have lived at the house since 1939.
The house has been open for tours since 1962.
The castle is now open daily for tours.
Special events such as the upcoming “Zombie Prom” take place. It can also be rented out for private functions.