No matter your food preference, South Carolina has something to offer every palate’s desire. From international flavors to down-home cooking and good old fashioned burgers, this list of hard to find, hidden or hiding-in-plain-sight eateries in South Carolina will warm your taste buds.
1. Caffe Piccolo - 9428 Ocean Hwy, Pawleys Island, SC 29585
Caffe Piccolo is hiding in plain sight off Highway 17 in Pawleys Island in an obscure shopping plaza overshadowed by a giant grocery store next door. You'll love the Italian dishes at this quaint spot in Pawleys. It's "special-occasion-worthy," or go just because you want to try something new and fabulous.
2. White Duck Taco Shop - 792 Folly Rd, James Island, SC 29412
Located in a warehouse building on Folly Road, this unique restaurant is hard to find. There's a big white duck painted on the street side of the building and the entrance is off to the side. White Duck offers casual dining, with no table service. Order at the counter and then go grab a seat to chow down.
3. Koi Asian Bistro - 115 Pelham Road, Suite #15, Greenville, SC 29615
Koi is a relatively new Asian fusion restaurant on Pelham, serving thai, vegan and vegetarian dishes. The sushi is to die for! Open for lunch and dinner.
4. Zero Cafe + Bar - 0 George St, Charleston, SC 29401
Zero Cafe + Bar is a located inside a European-style boutique hotel in Charleston's historic Ansonborough neighborhood. This trendy little hidden restaurant offers creative cuisine in a wonderful atmosphere.
5. Harambe Ethiopian Restaurant - 2006 Senate St, Columbia, SC 29205
Harambe Ethiopian Restaurant is hard to find, that's for sure. But it's authentic Ethiopian food and in the most well-presented plates we've seen in South Carolina. If you've never had Ethiopian, then Harambe is the place to start!
6. Funnelicious - 55 Augusta St, Greenville, SC 29601
Wow. Never wait for the county fair again to get your funnel cake fix. Funnelicious has funnel cakes with 25 different toppings, plus hand-dipped corn dogs and fries. Sounds like the four food groups are all covered here.
7. Blue Cactus Cafe - 2002 Greene St, Columbia, SC 29205
Korean and Southwestern cuisine with a pinch of (great) attitude. That's what you'll find at this hidden Columbia restaurant. Open for lunch and dinner. Check their
before you go.
8. JackSon's Southern Kitchen - Richland Mall, 3400 Forest Dr, Columbia, SC 29204
JackSon's Southern Kitchen is tucked away inside the Richland Mall. For a finger-lickin' good lunch or dinner stop in here - you're not leaving hungry or disappointed.
9. Rockaway Athletic Club - 2719 Rosewood Dr, Columbia, SC 29205
The Rockaway is the epitome of "hidden" restaurants. They are inside a brick building on Rosewood with no visible signage from the road. But you have to stop here. The menu is small, but the food is amazing. The burgers are delish!
10. Trappe Door - 23 W Washington St, Greenville, SC 29601
Belgian-inspired fare with Belgian brews are the primary focus of this "hidden" restaurant in Greenville. If you haven't found the Trappe Door yet, then it's worth it.
11. Trattoria Lucca - 41 Bogard St, Charleston, SC 29403
Trattoria Lucca is right in the middle of one of Charleston's trending historic residential neighborhoods (Elliotborough). An odd location, granted, but well worth the efforts to locate it. It's pricey, but again, worth every penny.
12. Sisters Fine American Cuisine - 1051 Oakland Ave Rock Hill, SC 29732
Small and off the beaten path, Sisters Fine American Cuisine in Rock Hill dishes up creative plates with gorgeous flair. The salmon nachos are a favorite among regulars.
13. Chow Daddy's - 14b Executive Park Rd, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
It's easy to be "hidden" in plain sight in Hilton Head. Chow Daddy's is located off busy Pope Road. You'll thank yourself for taking the time to find them. Their menu is extensive and they have outside seating.
14. Mayflower Seafood - 1765 Harry Byrd Hwy, Darlington, SC 29532
Mayflower may be well known to locals and visitors to the raceway, but if you live anywhere near Darlington, then you should add the Mayflower Restaurant to your bucket list. Heaping portions of delicious fresh seafood keep 'em coming back again and again to this "hidden" Darlington secret.
15. The Grill at Clemson Marina - 150 Seneca Marina Dr, Seneca, SC 29678
Dock and dine at this hidden gem in Seneca. Of course, you can also drive there and then "park and dine." If you have a hankerin' for a huge tasty burger this hidden gem is the spot to scratch that itch. Make plans to attend their upcoming Oyster Roast on September 16, 2016. You can RSVP
Have you tried any of these yet? What other hidden eateries are on your favorites list? We’d love to know in our comments.