If you live in Nebraska, you’re already well aware it’s the best place to be. For people who are looking for a new place to put down roots, though, we’ve gathered up some of the reasons Nebraska is the best state to live in…in no particular order.
1. You Can't Beat the Views
No, Nebraska isn't all flat and boring. In fact, we have some of the most beautiful scenery in the country. (But you will have to get off of the interstate to see the best of it.)
2. There Are So Many Outdoor Activities You'll Never Get Bored
Nebraska is an outdoor lover's paradise. Hiking, biking, swimming, fishing, hunting, boating, wind surfing...seriously, Nebraska has it all.
3. The Nicest, Friendliest People Live Here
Even in the cities where you might not expect to find many friendly people, strangers will smile at you on the street. Be ready for them to start a conversation, too.
4. Violent Crime is Low
Okay, there are a few trouble spots in Nebraska, but on the whole the state has a lower crime rate than the national average. In fact, if you live in a small town crime is virtually unheard of.
5. We Have the Lowest Unemployment Rate in the WHOLE COUNTRY
Nebraska is a fantastic place for job hunters. Besides being home to five Fortune 500 companies, the state has ample job opportunities in just about every industry.
6. Nebraska is One of the Top 10 Most Affordable States in the Country
Taxes may be higher than a lot of people would like, but the overall cost of living is well below the national average.
7. There Are About a Thousand Museums Here
Well, maybe not
quite that many, but there are a ton of them all over the state. Some are the only ones of their kind in the entire world.
8. Nebraska's Healthcare is Less Expensive Than the National Average
It may not seem like it when you open up a hospital bill, but it's actually a lot less expensive to receive medical care in Nebraska than in most other states.
9. Nebraska Has a Long and Fascinating History
And we'll always be happy to tell you everything we know about it.
10. You Can Have the Best of Both Worlds
While much of the state's land area is farm and ranch land, approximately 60% of the population lives in or near an urban center. Lots of people live in small towns and commute to larger towns or cities for work - giving them the best of city and country life.
11. The Best Zoo in the World is Here
in the world. Take that, California!
12. Nebraska is the #10 State to Retire in
According to Bankrate.com, Nebraska is a great place to spend your golden years.
13. We're Pretty Happy, Healthy People
Nebraska is the #7 state for general well-being, according to Gallup.
14. Nebraska is the #6 Top State in Which to Raise Kids
MoneyRates.com puts Nebraska in the top 10 when it comes to great places for raising families.
15. It Seems Like There's Always a Festival Going On
Look around a little and there's bound to be something fun going on somewhere in the state. We have a lot to celebrate!
Have we made a good enough case for you to move to Nebraska? Other Nebraskans, feel free to pitch in: why is the Cornhusker State the best place to live?