Summer is knocking on our door, and this means it’s time to start picking some sweet strawberries! There is nothing quite like the taste of a berry warm off the vine. Here are some places that have been family favorites for years – but with this temperamental weather, we recommend you call first to make sure the picking is ripe!
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life as we all practice social and physical distancing. While we’re continuing to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, we don’t expect or encourage you to go check them out immediately. We believe that supporting local attractions is important now more than ever and we hope our articles inspire your future adventures! And on that note, please nominate your favorite local business that could use some love right now:
1. Sam Mazza's Farm Market - 277 Lavigne Road, Colchester
Be sure to plan for extra time while strawberry picking here, folks. The bakery, farm stand and gift shop are amazing and bring a few quarters for grain to feed the animals at the free petting zoo.
2. Nye's Berryland - 1452 Plains Road, Georgia Plains
Pick your own strawberries and raspberries at Nye's. You might want to get some extra for your favorite pie recipe, too!
3. River Berry Farm - 191 Goose Pond Road, Fairfax
The River Berry Farm is a small family owned, organic fruit and vegetable farm that has been growing delicious food since 1992. Simply an amazing place run by people who truly care.
4. Valley Dream Farm - 5901 Pleasant Valley Road, Cambridge
Honest hard work is the backbone of this farm, and you'll love a day here picking some of the sweetest strawberries ever.
5. Berry Creek Farm - 1342 VT Route 100, Westfield
Clearly the hard work here pays off. This farm is committed to sustainable organic agricultural enterprises. We love a place that teaches the next generation the importance of farming!
6. Isham Family Farm - 3515 Oak Hill Road, Williston
This farm is now run by the 5th generation, and you can be sure that things get sweeter and sweeter every year!
7. The Apple Barn and Country Bake Shop - 604 US Route 7 S, Bennington
The Apple Barn has been a favorite place and family tradition for many people in Southern Vermont for many years. The berries are sweet, but save room for their bake shop!
8. Dutton Berry Farm - 407 VT Route 30, Newfane
You'll find the juicy and delicious Dutton berries at many local stores, but there's nothing quite like a fresh berry that you've chosen yourself.
9. Wellwood Orchards - Springfield/Weathersfield
The berries sure are sweet at Wellwood Orchards! With all this rain lately, we recommend you call ahead to see if they're ready for picking: 802-263-5200.
10. Cedar Circle Farm - 225 Pavillion Road, East Thetford
Along with 40 acres of cropland, 6 greenhouses, and 5 hoop houses, you'll also house a farmstand, coffee shop, and a licensed commercial kitchen. This organic spot simply has it all!
11. Last Resort Farm - 2246 Tyler Bridge Road, Monkton
This family farm works hard to make sure the berries are pure and delicious. Taste for yourself!
12. Full Belly Farm / Norris Berry Farm - 686 Davis Road, Hinesburg
Whether you pick your own or get some ready-picked at the stand, you'll love everything about this awesome place. They also have hanging baskets, shrubs and berry plants for sale. If you miss the strawberries, they will have raspberries and blueberries later this season.
13. Chandler Pond Farm, 528 Burroughs Road, Wheelock
Head to this scenic spot in the NEK for some of the best berries, vegetables, beef, hay, and maple products around.
14. Chamberlin's Garden & Farm Market - 97 River Road, Underhill
From strawberries to sweet corn to pumpkins, it's all delicious here. Just follow the signs!
15. Charlotte Berry Farm - 4702 Ethan Allen Highway, Charlotte
This family friendly berry farm has a wide variety of berries including strawberries, raspberries, black raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, and pumpkins. Enjoy the beautiful scenery while you cool down with a creemee!