The Most Remote Lake In South Carolina, Tugalo Lake Is Also The Most Peaceful
The Palmetto State is undoubtedly a water lover’s paradise. Whether it’s shredding waves on the coast, rafting rapids on the Saluda in Columbia, or spending the day topside on the boat of your dreams on one of our lakes, you’re in the right spot! You can enjoy any of those activities on just about any lake in the state. But what about finding a water destination that’s so out of the way that it’s actually quiet, devoid of that overwhelming tourist that vibe? Welcome to Lake Tugalo, a remote lake in South Carolina that most people have never even heard of. It might be a bit out of the way for some, but I can promise that it’s absolutely stunning and worth a visit.
Access to the lake via the load-in ramp mentioned above is located 22 miles northwest of Westminster, 53 miles northwest of Anderson, and 77 miles southwest of Greenville. See? It really is in the middle of nowhere!
It’s worth mentioning here that Section IV of the Chattooga River is widely known as one of the most dangerous Class IV rapids in America. It’s claimed many lives. The “Take Out Ramp” for Section IV of the Chattooga mentioned in this article is located approximately five miles BELOW the dangerous rapids. So kayaking this section of the river below the ramp mentioned above should be a smooth experience.
Lake Tugalo in South Carolina is the perfect spot for rafting and paddling enthusiasts. It’s certainly one of the best lakes in Oconee County, South Carolina. And, it’s also known for its great fishing! Had you heard of it before today? If you’ve visited, we’d love to hear any tips or tricks you have for making a visit great. Let us know in the comments!
A visit to Lake Tugalo is always a great idea, but while you’re in Oconee County you might also want to find some time to visit a waterfall. Oconee has the most waterfalls of any other county in the state!
More to Explore
Lake Tugalo in South Carolina
What are the most beautiful lakes in South Carolina?
The most beautiful lakes in South Carolina offer wonderful opportunities to enjoy the great outdoors. Here are a few that are loved by both locals and visitors:
- Lake Murray, Lexington, Richland, Newberry, and Saluda Counties: Located in the midlands, this 50,000-acre lake is considered one of the most tranquil in the entire state. There are hundreds of access points, which help visitors enjoy the myriad outdoor adventures here.
- Lake Hartwell, Oconee County: With 56,000 acres to enjoy, this is a fantastic lake to visit if you want endless activities to enjoy. There are also plenty of places to camp.
- Lake Jocassee, Pickens, and Oconee Counties: One of the most popular lakes in South Carolina is beloved for good reason. There's quite a bit to do on the lake's 7,500 acres.
What are the best family-friendly campgrounds in South Carolina?
The best family-friendly campgrounds in South Carolina are the perfect way to enjoy nice weather. Here are a few to consider when planning your next getaway:
- Ocean Lakes Family Campground, Myrtle Beach: Life at the beach doesn't get better than this absolutely mammoth camping spot. There are pools, great food, and tons of views.
- River Bottom Farms Family Campground, Swansea: Located just 30 miles southwest of Columbia, this campground will bring you back to your camping roots. It's great for all ages, too.
- Willow Tree RV Resort And Campground, Longs: In addition to being located in a beautiful area, kids love the water park located right on the lake here.