17 Famous People You Had No Idea Were From South Carolina
When I say that South Carolina has it all, I really mean it. We are not just sweet tea, flip flops, beaches, mountains, and Charleston. As it turns out, South Carolina is the birthplace of numerous famous people as well. And, when I say numerous, I mean that there are too many for even a week’s worth of articles. To help get you started, we’ve included a list below with 17 famous people from South Carolina. Some of them just might surprise you.
This is definitely not a complete list of famous people from South Carolina. There are several more. If you can think of any we’ve missed, please share them with us in the comments below.
famous people from South Carolina
What are eight fun facts about South Carolina you might not have already known?
Who doesn’t love a little South Carolina trivia? If you’re one of the many people who do, you’ll love the eight fun facts about South Carolina we’ve listed below. Some of them might even surprise you.
1. One of the oldest tress in the country, the Angel Oak, is located in Charleston, South Carolina. It’s estimated to be around 500 years old.
2. More than 67% of South Carolina is covered by forests.
3. A mysterious circle of 4,000-year-old shells is situated on Hilton Head Island. It’s known as the Sea Pines Shell Ring.
4. The world’s hottest pepper, the Carolina Reaper pepper, is grown in Fort Mill, South Carolina.
5. South Carolina is home to the country’s first public lending library, which was established in 1698.
6. The world’s largest ginkgo farm is located in Sumter, South Carolina. It has approximately 12 million ginkgo trees.
7. Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is known as the “Golf Capital of the World.”
8. Summerville, South Carolina is the birthplace of sweet tea, one of the South’s most popular drinks.
Who are three of the biggest celebrities in South Carolina?
Many celebrities are from South Carolina, both living and deceased. From actors and athletes, to singers and comedians, the list is endless. Listed below are three of the biggest celebrities in South Carolina.
1. James Brown
James Brown was born in Barnwell, South Carolina and is known as the “Godfather of Soul.” One of his biggest songs is I Got You (I Feel Good), which was released in 1965.
2. Woodrow Wilson
Woodrow Wilson lived in Columbia, South Carolina during his teenage years and was eventually elected as the 28th president of the United States. He led the United States into World War I, which has been considered the worst catastrophe in U.S. history.
3. Viola Davis
Viola Davis was born in St. Matthews, South Carolina and is known for her role as Aibileen Clark in The Help. If you’ve never seen this award-winning film, consider doing so. It’s based on the novel of the same name and is a great film.