Ohio December 11, 2016
10 Things About Ohio That Never Fail To Surprise Out-Of-Towners
Ohio is a wild card.
Most people think they have Ohio figured out before they visit (or even if they never visit.) But what they don’t know is that we’ve got more surprises up our sleeve than arguably any other state in the U.S. From island life to national museums, here are 10 things about Ohio that never fail to surprise out-of-towners.
1. Our state capital is currently one of the smartest cities IN THE WORLD.
Currently, our state capital is the smartest city in the U.S. (and one of the smartest in the world.) The Intelligent Community Forum (ICF), a New York-based think tank, named the world's top 7 most intelligent communities in January of 2015. Columbus was recognized for its 2007-2009 brain gain, economic and employment growth and technological advances. To read more about this recognition, click
2. We're home to the National Museum of the United States Air Force.
Yep. That's right. We boast more than just the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and the Pro Football Hall of Fame. You can learn all about the history of our nation’s development in aviation at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Dayton, where admission is FREE.
3. We also have some really incredible geological wonders here.
Pictured are the glacial grooves on Kelleys Island, which are the largest accessible glacial grooves IN THE WORLD.
4. We're (literally) the best place IN THE WORLD when it comes to roller coaster selection.
Cedar Point Amusement Park in Sandusky, Ohio is the Roller Coaster Capital of the World. You won't find any faster, taller or crazier roller coasters than the ones we have right here in Ohio.
5. We have islands. Lots of them.
In fact, Ohio is actually home to more than a dozen natural islands, all differing in size, their number of inhabitants and above-water presence (with the rise and fall of Lake Erie’s water levels), according to the ODNR Office of Coastal Management.
6. And beaches. (Because you can't have islands without beaches, guys.)
OK, so maybe we don't have pristine Hawaiian beaches or anything like that, but Lake Erie is our own special sort of ocean here in Ohio.
7. Lighthouses are a thing here, too.
Ohio is actually home to several picturesque lighthouses. Pictured is Marblehead Lighthouse.
8. We also have a few safaris...
The Wilds in Cumberland, Ohio (pictured) offer a unique way to observe exotic animals in Ohio. Port Clinton is also home to another popular safari.
9. ...and even some pretty impressive castles.
Yes. There are castles in Ohio. And they're quite beautiful. (Pictured is The Loveland Castle near Cincinnati.)
10. We're a heck of a lot better than that state up north that shall not be named.
(Just kidding. NO ONE is surprised by that.)
What other things are there about Ohio that never fail to surprise out-of-towners? Share your thoughts with us!