Ohio October 28, 2015
This Is What Ohio Looked Like 100 Years Ago…It May Surprise You
Ohio has come a long way since the early 1900s—and its told an interesting story along the way. What were once thriving canal-ways and railroads are now isolated, overlooked canal locks and rusted, hidden railways. The following photos showcase various places in Ohio from 100+ years ago. Observe what’s changed in your hometown and/or current residence.
1. Panorama of Public Square in Cleveland, OH (Circa 1912)
Buildings, from left to right: Cuyahoga County Courthouse, 1875 (demolished, current site of 55 Public Square); Lyceum Theater (demolished, current site of 75 Public Square); Old Stone Church, 1855;
Society for Savings, Burnham & Root, 1889-90; Chamber of Commerce (demolished, current site of Key Tower); Federal Courthouse, Arnold Brunner, 1910; Cuyahoga Building, Burnham & Root, 1893 (demolished, current site of the BP Building); Williamson Building, George B. Post, 1900 (demolished, current site of the BP Building).
2. Ohio Erie Canal in Independence, OH (Circa 1902)
3. Paint Street in Chillicothe, OH (Circa 1896)
Picturesque Chillicothe and Ross County Ohio: Centennial Year 1896
4. Wooden team boat horse ferry in Chillicothe, OH (Circa 1900)
Pictured: Capt. Horace McElfresh and son aboard a wooden ferry boat powered by two horses on treadmills, connected to side paddlewheels.
5. Ariel view of Cincinnati, OH (Circa 1900)
6. Pendleton Park in Cincinnati, OH (Circa 1901)
This photo was taken approximately 10 years after the park was briefly the home of the Cincinnati Kelly's Killers, also known as "the Porkers" and "the Reds," of the American Association during 1891. By 1901, it was part of the grounds of the Cincinnati Gymnasium and Athletic Club and a swimming pool was added, according to the Wikimedia Commons description.
7. Lighthouse at Cedar Point in Sandusky, OH (Circa 1900)
8. Cedar Point beach in Sandusky, OH (Circa 1900)
9. Veterinary Hospital at The Ohio State University in Columbus, OH (Circa 1900)
10. Summer school students at Ohio University in Athens, OH (Circa 1909)
How has Ohio changed over the last 100 years? Do you have any vintage photos of Ohio? Share them with us in the comments below!