North Carolina July 11, 2017
15 Things Longtime North Carolinians Wish They Could Tell Newcomers
Between jobs, a new location, even making a new friend group – we’ve all had the experience of being the ‘newbie.’ While you surely learn as you go, sometimes that friend or coworker that gives you the inside scoop prior to those lessons is most valuable. While many have their outside ideas on how the Tar Heel state operates, it’s best to get advice from a true native and remember these 15 things.
1. While we're known for our BBQ, it's way more complex (and beloved) than you could ever know.
It's best to educate yourself on BOTH types and try a bit to decide which you like. Just remember: Lexington style = pork shoulder and ketchup-based. East = whole hog and vinegar-based.
2. The restaurants that look semingly abandoned are usually the best.
3. From beer and wine to shops, restaurants, and even groceries - North Carolinians love all things local.
4. Yes, college basketball is a huge deal.
While UNC are the current NCAA Champions, it's a delicate balance. You might see a UNC fan pick on someone wearing a Duke shirt (or vice versa) - but unless you have extensive knowledge on NC College basketball, just stay out of the conversation (also, please don't mention your super awesome rivalries).
5. Expect constant interstate construction.
As soon as one project ends, another begins.
6. No two North Carolinians are alike.
From Asheville "hippies" to big city dwellers in Charlotte and Raleigh, beach bums on the coast and even those who prefer smaller cities and towns; we're just as diverse as our landscape and that's one aspect that makes this state so amazing.
7. Hot humid summers, crisp falls with abundant foliage, chilly winters with a snow or two, and warm springs - you will get to experience all four seasons, in full force.
Also - don't be alarmed to see flip flops after November.
8. Between hiking trails, beaches, and places of interest, your North Carolina bucket list will NEVER end and instead will just get longer.
9. But because of that, there's always room for adventure here and you can find most of us outdoors exploring.
10. While many choose the beach or the mountains, true North Carolinians love both equally and respect them for what they have to offer.
11. Y'all are just gonna have to get used to hearing things like: yonder, ain't, ma'am, sir, y'all .
12. North Carolina is a very art-centric state. Live music, dancing, theatre, film, painting and sculpture - the arts are the heart of our culture and state.
13. While we might love being outdoors and being adventurous, North Carolinians are also especially skilled professional relaxers.
You can find us on the front or back porch on a nice summer night (usually with a cold sweet tea, or a just a cold one in general).
14. While you're going to learn a ton of new sayings and words - "bless your heart" is (usually) not a good thing.
15. North Carolina has a strange pull on a person, like some sort of magic always drawing you back time and time again.
Long story short, you're never gonna want to leave.
This list makes me realize how special this state is and how lucky I am to call it home! What would you add? Any transplants who have learned lessons from being here (and some you had wish you’d known before?)
If you are a native, you might have experienced these
15 weird side effects from growing up in North Carolina.