5 Epic Train Rides Everyone Must Take In North Carolina
Traveling by train is a nostalgic experience that really is unparalleled. A train ride allows you to sit back, enjoy the view, and let someone else take the wheel. Luckily, North Carolina offers some seriously amazing train rides, fun for adults and fun for kids! Some are 21 and up, while others are perfect for breaking out of your weekend routine and doing something unforgettable. Here are five scenic railroad trips in North Carolina that make for the perfect day trip in The Tar Heel State.
Have you experienced any of these North Carolina train trips? Which one was your favorite? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!
Another way to experience the beauty of The Tar Heel State is to hop in your car and take a road trip! From the bright greens of spring and summer to the fiery colors of fall, nature is calling for your to come out and explore. When you do, make sure you use our ultimate road trip packing list – it will help make traveling a breeze!
More to Explore
Scenic Train Rides In North Carolina
Are there any themed train rides in North Carolina?
If you have an insatiable appetite for adventure -- and trains! -- you'll definitely want to take your railroad excursion experience to the next level with one of the themed rides offers at Great Smoky Mountains Railroad. Check out options such as:
- The kid-friendly "Great Pumpkin Patch Express" in the fall
- And "The Polar Express" holiday event when the weather turns brisk
- There's the adults-only "Uncorked" wine-and-train experience
- In the spring, check out the Bunny Express!
Great Smoky Mountains Railroad offers lots of fun, seasonal, and memorable excursions sure to delight all members of your locomotive-loving party!
What are some of North Carolina's most scenic road trips?
Road trips, just like train trips, are the perfect way to savor the splendor of The Tar Heel State. And happily, there are endless opportunities for scenic road trips in North Carolina!
- Every North Carolinian knows the Blue Ridge Parkway as ‘the’ drive through the Carolinas; it truly offers some of the best mountain and valley views in the state.
- We also love the drive along the Cherohala Skyway. This entire drive is a scenic experience in and of itself, but some must-stop by destinations include Little Huckleberry Knob, Hooper’s Bald, Laurel Top and John’s Knob — which are also some of the oldest mountains in the Appalachian range. Of course, when you start your journey outside of Robbinsville, take time to stop at the overlook above Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. The views are absolutely breathtaking.
Does North Carolina have any railroad museums?
Railroads are an important part of North Carolina's history, and luckily history has been preserved at various railroad museums throughout the state.
- Locomotive lovers of all ages will totally geek out at the N.C Transportation Museum, a hands-on history lesson of everything that gets us from point A to point B. History buffs will love the experience of the antique diesel engine. Throughout the year, there are also specialty train rides (like the popular Thomas the Train) and also trains that visit the museum. Stay up to date with them on social media to make sure you get your tickets to hop on board!
- And of course, Tweetsie Railroad is a delightful place that is as much about learning about trains, as it is about riding trains. Visit and check out all sorts of cool, railroad-themed interests before your excursion!