While we do our best not to pick favorites, it’s hard not to fall completely in love with the Adirondacks. In the late 1800s the Adirondack Park was created, covering 6 million acres and drawing in plenty of visitors. This region is an explorer’s paradise and is considered one of the most scenic areas in our state that you can visit. With so much to do and so much to see, here’s 15 reasons why there’s simply no place in the world like the Adirondacks:
1. Saying that the scenery is breathtaking doesn't do this piece of New York justice, it's just something you have to see in person.
As soon as you enter the Adirondack Park you'll feel the best kind of calm come over you. You'll quickly find yourself sounding like a broken record, babbling about how beautiful everything is...and it will be awesome. From the mountains to the lakes and the wide open spaces, there's so much to see in the Adirondacks!
2. Covering 6 million acres, there's a ton of fascinating history here that will intrigue you.
Where do we start? Within the Adirondack Park you'll find plenty of wonderful museums, tons of history surrounding the 1980 Winter Olympics held in Lake Placid, our star-shaped fort in Ticonderoga and so much more.
3. Beautiful and remote open spaces means you'll get to see the night sky like you've never seen it before!
Get away from the city lights and let yourself see what's shining so bright up in our night sky! There's nothing like a beautiful night in the Adirondacks.
4. Camping? There's no place better to enjoy it!
Whether you're into roughing it out in the woods, sleeping on Mother Nature's comfortable floor while you're
or you enjoy a good old
trip, there's no better place to do these activities than in the Adirondacks.
5. Because every drive, is a scenic drive.
Literally. No matter if you're taking a quick trip to the store or a day trip somewhere inside of the park, every drive is relaxing and scenic. Put your windows down and enjoy the amazing mountain air!
6. Wildlife is constantly surrounding you.
From the common insects to beautiful birds and larger wildlife that you may not be so thrilled to see right in front of you, there's always some sort of animal to be seen! When visiting the Adirondack Park, we highly suggest keeping binoculars nearby, they'll come in handy.
7. Thousands of lakes and ponds can be found within the Adirondack Park, that's right...
Pictured above you can see Blue Mountain Lake, home to the Adirondack Museum! Our lakes are perfect for all of your favorite water activities and are amazing to check out during our warmer months!
8. Let's not forget about the shopping!
Spending time in the peaceful Adirondack Park doesn't meant you have to forget about shopping! Throughout our charming small towns and villages you'll find plenty of gift shops and maybe even some outlet stores!
9. The mountains, the mountains, the mountains.
Lea Monroe/Only In Your State
The tallest mountains in New York can be found within the Adirondack Park, and if you're not familiar with our 46 High Peaks then you're totally missing out. While the area rightfully attracts hikers and explorers from all over the place, these beautiful mountains are amazing just to have surrounding you. Did we mention that we love the fresh mountain air? And that the mountains are so beautiful? Just checking.
10. Feeling thirsty? Our breweries will deliciously quench your thirst.
Did you know there's an incredible Adirondack Craft Beer Trail? If you didn't, you can
to explore the map and all the great spots that are apart of the trail!
11. And let's not forget that the Adirondacks are home to some insanely tasty restaurants.
Eating out in the Adirondacks mean you're almost always guaranteed to enjoy a beautiful view while you dine. Whether you're right on the water or have beautiful view of the mountains, there's so many great places to try!
12. Enjoy a scenic train ride with the Saratoga & North Creek Railway.
After exploring the Adirondacks you may find yourself drained and relaxing train ride may be the perfect activity for you! Who doesn't enjoy an amazing scenic ride? To find our more information about this railway,
13. Yes we've boasted about the scenery, but more specifically, there's nothing like being in the Adirondacks to see our foliage.
With the high peaks beautifully set in the background, the picture above shows off one of the many reasons why there's no place like the Adirondacks.
14. And during the colder months? The Adirondacks are nothing short of a winter wonderland.
Disney could've saved itself a ton of money if they had just been smart enough to film
Frozen here in the Adirondacks. I mean seriously, this place is like a powdery bliss when the snow comes in! To our fellow lovers of snow, we also can't fail to mention that one of the best parts of the Adirondacks is that winter comes so much sooner here! Take a hike here during the fall and you'll be greeted with snow up on the mountain!
15. Because our Adirondack residents know how to do things right, living life like it's a permanent vacation!
If you told us that the word staycation was invented here in the Adirondacks, I would 100% believe you without a doubt. Just take a look around you! You'll never end a vacation here without whining about how you don't ever want to leave.
We could gush about the Adirondacks forever! Needing to take a break from it all? Check out this relaxing
2-day getaway in Lake Placid we planned out for you!
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.