The Best Train Ride In The Nation Is Right Here In New Mexico
Are you looking for one of the best train rides in New Mexico? Then look no further than the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad. It is an incredible experience that will show you the Land of Enchantment in a whole new way! As a matter of fact, at one time USA Today’s Ten Best “Readers’ Choice” Awards acknowledged the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad as the best train ride in the nation. We totally agree with those readers and here’s why:
Things to know: The Railroad generally operates from the end of May through the end of October every year. For schedules and fares, be sure to check out The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad website, as well as The Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad Facebook page. We know you will consider your ride to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience!
This railroad, which began as a functional way to access mines, has transformed into the best train ride in the country. New Mexicans are inventive and skilled at repurposing. For another example of a place that was once tied to mining but that has since been reimagined, check out the Catwalk National Scenic Trail.
If you’d like to explore hikes dotted along the route, you can find some great trails by going to the AllTrails website.
If you’re still in the mood for more New Mexico adventures, take a look at this video:
More to Explore
Adventures in New Mexico
Where can we find historic sites in New Mexico?
- Santa Fe Plaza in downtown Santa Fe began as a walled fort in the city’s early days.
- The Las Trampas Historic District and San José de Gracia Church in Chamisal are one of the most beautiful landmarks in the state.
- The Lincoln Historic District in Lincoln encompasses 17 structures and outbuildings.
Read on to learn more about the many historic sites in New Mexico.
Where can we go to watch the sunrises in New Mexico?
- Santa Rosa Lake in Santa Rosa features dramatic sunrise colors across the water.
- The Sangre de Cristo Mountains draw folks from all over the state, particularly photographers who capture amazing sunrise shots.
- The Bosque del Apache National Wildlife Refuge in San Antonio offers spectacular views of the refuge, especially first thing in the morning.
Read on to learn more about the many places where you can go to watch sunrises in New Mexico.
Where can we find breweries in New Mexico?
- The Little Toad Creek Brewery & Distillery with locations in Silver City and Las Cruces serves great brews as well as awesome food.
- The Rio Grande Grill and Tap Room in Ruidoso have won multiple medals and offer beer samples and amazing food.
- La Reforma Brewery in Albuquerque offers a wide variety of both house and seasonal beer varieties.
Read on to learn more about some of the many other awesome breweries in New Mexico.