Hop In Your Car And Take The Route 1 Coastal Journey For An Incredible 22-Mile Scenic Drive In New Hampshire
Of all the ways to appreciate the landscape of New Hampshire, getting in the car and exploring the scenic roads is our favorite. Hikes and walks might get the heart pumping, but we’d argue that some of the views available on a beautiful drive will raise that heart rate just as much. We’re not gym teachers, but we like to believe there’s some truth to our hypothesis. Just in case, let’s test it out by trying this short and sweet road trip following Route 1A New Hampshire! The route is south to north, but you can choose to head north to south if that’s more convenient. Here are the directions for everything we’re laying out below!
Have you taken any road trips that lead to incredible scenery? Let us know in the comments so we can try them! And if you choose to do Route 1A, New Hampshire, let us know your favorite parts.
For more local beauty, check out these 8 backroads in New Hampshire for a long scenic drive!
More to Explore
Route 1A New Hampshire
What are the most scenic drives in New Hampshire?
The most scenic drives in New Hampshire can be found all across the state, whether you’re driving in the White Mountains or along the coastline.
Here are some of the most scenic drives in New Hampshire
- Kancamagus Highway: This 34-mile stretch of road through the White Mountain National Forest is one of the most popular scenic drives in New Hampshire. The road winds through the forest, offering stunning views of the mountains and foliage in the fall.
- Mount Washington Auto Road: The Mount Washington Auto Road is a 7.6-mile drive that takes you to the summit of Mount Washington, the highest peak in the Northeast. The road offers stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
- The Lakes Region: The Lakes Region is a beautiful area of New Hampshire that offers many scenic drives, including routes along Lake Winnipesaukee and Lake Squam. These drives offer beautiful views of the lakes, forests, and mountains.
- Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee Region: The Dartmouth-Lake Sunapee Region is known for its picturesque small towns, rolling hills, and sparkling lakes. Scenic drives in this area offer views of the region's natural beauty and charming towns.
- Monadnock Region: The Monadnock Region is known for its beautiful landscapes, including Mount Monadnock, the most-climbed mountain in North America. Scenic drives in this area offer views of the mountain, forests, and small towns.
- New Hampshire Route 1A: Drive through the Seacoast Region on a scenic drive along the coast, with views of the Atlantic Ocean, sandy beaches, and historic towns such as Portsmouth.
What is the The New Hampshire Coastal Byway?
The New Hampshire Coastal Byway, also known as Route 1A in New Hampshire, is a designated scenic byway that stretches along the coastline of New Hampshire. It runs for approximately 18 miles from Seabrook to Portsmouth, offering visitors stunning views of the Atlantic Ocean, sandy beaches, coastal marshes, and charming seaside towns.
The Coastal Byway takes you through several coastal communities, including Hampton, North Hampton, Rye, and New Castle. Along the route, you'll find a variety of attractions, such as parks, historic sites, lighthouses, and scenic overlooks.