St. Louis January 21, 2018
12 Weird Side Effects Everyone Experiences From Growing Up In St. Louis
St. Louis is unlike any other city in the world, and we St. Louisans wouldn’t have it any other way. With so many unique attributes, the city has shaped its residents in a way that allows to share many commonalities and traits. Chances are that if you grew up in St. Louis, you probably do these twelve things:
1. When you think about your childhood, you realize you walked
In a city that's as pedestrian-friendly as STL, so many delightful destinations are just a short walk from your home. You didn't realize it until you grew up and started learning to drive, but much of your travel time was (and might still be) spent traveling on foot.
2. When you overhear someone talking about a boat, fishing isn't the first thing to come to mind.
Every St. Louisan has gone "to the boat" at some point, and we all know that it's grownup code for "casino."
3. Your internal reaction to non-St. Louisan accents tends to be dramatic.
It's Missour-ee, not Missour-ah! And why are you adding an inexplicable "r" after your vowels?!
4. It seems like you bump into someone you know every where you go.
Though St. Louis is home to roughly 312,000 people, it feels much more like a neighborhood than a big city. You know many of the people that live around you and in your area, and you find that you bump into people as frequently as if you lived in a small town. And, of course, you always happen to bump into friends when you look like you just rolled out of bed. Go figure.
5. You find yourself getting way too excited about finding free parking Downtown... you know, when you
actually find it.
Of course there is free parking, but it's hard to come by Downtown. Parking feels like a never-ending battle in St. Louis, but the destination is always worth it.
6. Despite crime statistics and national media attention, you usually feel safe throughout the Greater St. Louis area.
There is no way to sugar coat crime statistics, and it is no secret amongst St. Louisans that our city and its surrounding metropolitan area have quite the reputation. However, you typically don't find places where feel unsafe, and avoid the few spots that do. The city just feels like home.
7. You can't explain it, but you are totally fine with seeing the same food items on every menu.
Everyone has their own take on our iconic dishes, and it's fun to sample they different styles!
8. Every so often, you find yourself itching to get out and enjoy the surrounding greenery.
There are so many parks in St. Louis that it's hard to resist their allure. You find yourself battling spontaneous urges to go exploring... and those desires never fade away.
9. When you visit other cities, you are often startled by their distinctive
lack of beauty.
St. Louis is so beautiful that it has spoiled us for life, endowing in us with an expectation for absolutely breathtaking surroundings. Unfortunately, most other places do not quite meet our standards.
10. You always ask new people which high school they attended.
And, after discovering someone's origins, you proceed to judge them... or find a new best friend.
11. Your French is a little choppy, but you still feel the need to (attempt to) speak it during Mardi Gras.
Not only is your French a bit broken, but your pronunciation is distinctly St. Louisan.
12. No matter where life takes you, it alwys brings you back to The Gateway City.
The charm of St. Louis is undeniable, and nobody can vouch for it quite like the locals that it has created and shaped. Thanks to our shared experiences, our unusual blend of cultural influences, and our big-city-meets-small-town attitude, there is no place in the world quite like St. Louis. And, there’s nobody out there quite like a St. Louisan.
Love STL? You’ll probably agree with these
17 reasons to live in St. Louis.