Here Are The 16 Absolute Best Places To Stay In Mississippi
As local travel experts, we know what travelers are looking for when it comes to finding the perfect accommodations for their next trip. To compile our lists, we scour the internet to find properties with excellent ratings and reviews, desirable amenities, nearby attractions, and that something special that makes a destination worthy of traveling for.
Visitors to the Magnolia State come from around the world to indulge in Mississippi cuisine, relax on the white sandy beaches of the Gulf of Mexico, fish its excellent fishing lakes, and enjoy local college sporting events. Mississippi is also unexpectedly scenic, with many hidden natural gems worth exploring, not to mention plenty of history and culture to enjoy. When visiting, it might be tempting to search for the best hotels or campgrounds, but why not opt for a lodging experience that is more unique and exciting? If you choose from any of these
16 best places to stay in Mississippi, you’ll surely find any one of them to be perfectly homey and inviting. We’re so confident you’ll love them that you may not want to leave!
Best Affordable Places to Stay in Mississippi
Exploring Mississippi shouldn’t have to break the bank. It’s a common misconception that VRBO-related rentals are unaffordable, but through our research, we’ve found that this isn’t the case at all. But affordability by itself isn’t reason enough to choose these listings below; these vacation rentals are all highly-rated, and they do not sacrifice on comforts, location, scenery, or charm. Each of these
vacation rentals in Mississippi are sure to offer the relaxing getaway you crave, at an excellent value you can afford. 1. Fondren "InStyle" Elegance: Indoor-Outdoor Charm, Fondren Location: Fondren, Mississippi 39216 Size: 1 bedroom, 1 bath Price: $107/night Amenities: Spacious apartment with large balcony, free parking, patio furniture, ample natural light, large fully-stocked kitchen (including coffee maker and microwave), separate dining room, flat-screen TV, in-unit washer & dryer, WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars
This isn't your average Mississippi hotel. This beautiful
is conveniently located in downtown Frondren's Historic District, within walking distance of the Art District of Jackson and downtown Jackson itself. Catch a concert or sporting event at the massive Mississippi Coliseum, explore the Mississippi State Capitol building, dine at one of many nearby restaurants, and see all that the bustling town of Jackson has to offer. You'll find that this boutique hotel-like rental offers both convenience in location as well as the comfort you'll be seeking as your busy days come to a close.
2. Camellia Cottage, Holmesville Location: Holmesville, Mississippi 39648 Size: 1 bedroom, 1 bath Price: $94/night Amenities: Cozy home with a screened-in porch, patio furniture, fire pit, large windows, ample natural light, fully stocked kitchen, wood-burning fireplace, close to river and trails, carport, WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars
This quaint single-bedroom residence in Holmesville is nestled on beautiful grounds with easy access to a river and many hiking trails. Birds and wildlife frequent the area, and many flowering bushes and trees surround this charming home. The small-town community of Holmesville is almost storybook with its endless historic homes, and you'll fall in love with the neighborhood. Settle down in front of the log-burning fireplace after a day of exploring and you'll feel right at home at
3. Cotton District Home - Walk to MSU, Shops & Cafes, Starkville Location: Starkville, Mississippi 39759 Size: 2 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $117/night Amenities: Convenient Starkville location, easy check-in, front porch with patio furniture, fully-equipped kitchen, flat-screen Smart TV, 3-car driveway, washer & drier, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.5 stars
This charming home is located in Mississippi's college town of Starkville (roughly an hour south of Tupelo) and just minutes away from the Mississippi State University campus. This is the perfect home base for campus visitors, those attending college sporting events, or visiting prospective students. Starkville is as charming as they come for college towns, with plenty of shopping and restaurants within walking distance of the home. Within this
Cotton District home
, you'll find all the amenities and comforts you'll need to make your visit memorable.
Best Places to Stay in Mississippi for Families
Mississippi is a great place to visit with your family, and lodging should be the easiest decision you make as you embark on your family vacation. We’ve done the hard work for you by selecting four beautiful vacation rentals that won’t steer you or your family wrong. They each offer ample space, endless comfort, and beautiful scenery. What’s more to love?
4. Castaway Key Beach House, Jackson County Location: Jackson County, Mississippi 39569 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $265/night Amenities: Large home with sweeping ocean views, private beach access, large covered deck with patio seating, fire pit on the beach, kayaks and crab pots included, spacious guest rooms, large farm table, fully-stocked kitchen, on-site washer & dryer, large TVs in each room, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
gorgeous oceanfront home
sits along private Belle Fontaine Beach on the Mississippi Sound. It offers sweeping Gulf Coast views and is within walking distance of the beach and ocean. Ocean Springs and Biloxi are all within a 30-minute drive where you can enjoy plenty of dining and shopping options, live music, art museums, and more. Enjoy the ocean views from the large deck as you sip your morning coffee or eat a home-cooked meal if you prefer the peace and quiet of the private beach over the liveliness of the restaurant crowds.
5. Palmetto House With Breathtaking Gulf Views, Gulfport Location: Gulfport, Mississippi 39501 Size: 1 bedroom, 2 baths Price: $191/night Amenities: Large, spacious home with vaulted ceilings, ocean views, 360° wrap-around deck, large windows and French doors, fully-stocked kitchen, Smart TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
This bright and airy oceanside vacation rental is lovely and inviting, and with Gulf Coast views like these, you're sure to fall in love. Watch the sun come up over the ocean from the huge, wrap-around deck as you listen to the waves crash in the distance. Take a walk to the beach or a drive into Gulfport to explore its many dining and shopping options.
The Palmetto House
is a truly peaceful beachside getaway that your whole family will adore.
6. Spacious Laurel Home Near Historic District, Laurel Location: Laurel, Mississippi 39440 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $223/night Amenities: Spacious single-level home, historic neighborhood in Laurel, large fully-stocked kitchen, Smart TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
Laurel is such a charming town, you'll have to visit to believe it. This HGTV-featured town just over 30 minutes north of Hattiesburg is as historic and beautiful as they come, as evidenced by this rustic yet stylish home. Laurel's Civil War-era historic district is only a few minutes away, and the neighborhood is warm and inviting. Settle into this
and its plentiful amenities, spacious living, dining, and kitchen areas, enjoy large windows in every room, and relax with your family in this beautiful and relaxing home-away-from-home.
7. 3 King Beds - Historic District -Walk to Square, Oxford Location: Oxford, Mississippi 38655 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $513/night Amenities: Vintage cottage, manicured grounds, large covered deck, patio furniture, spacious interior, 50-inch Smart TV, king-size beds in every room, fully-equipped kitchen, washer *& dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars
This stunning 1800-square-foot home is located in a quiet neighborhood within walking distance of Oxford Square. This home is a jaw-dropper both inside and out, with its manicured lawn and chic interior decor. The design of the home perfectly blends rustic and refined in all its furnishings, with thoughtful touches all throughout the home. You'll have designated parking spaces that are monitored for your convenience and peace of mind. The Ole Miss Golf Course offers a great driving range for the golf-lovers, with plenty of outdoor recreation in the area. You and your family will find a truly luxurious vacation experience at the
Best Romantic Places to Stay in Mississippi for Couples
Suppose you and your significant other could use a vacation for a weekend or longer. In that case, Mississippi has many vacation rentals that will offer you the quality alone time you’re searching for. Each of these boutique and stylish VRBO rentals below offers seclusion, peace and quiet, and plenty of romantic charm to go around.
8. That Cute Little Cottage, Old Town Bay St. Louis Location: Bay St. Louis, Mississippi 39520 Size: 2 bedrooms, 1 bath Price: $138/night Amenities: Historic cottage with covered front and back porches, fully stocked kitchen, spacious living and dining rooms, Smart TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars
This adorable cottage is blocks away from the beautiful Bay St. Louis Harbor in the Mississippi Delta and historic districts galore. Soak in the peaceful mornings on the porch with your partner as you enjoy a spacious and private backyard to yourself. The two bedrooms are spacious and each bed offers luxurious bedding and linens for your comfort at the inn. Enjoy the quiet neighborhood that's ideally located near Main Street, or go for a leisurely stroll four blocks to the beach for a day of relaxation in the sun together.
That Cute Little Cottage in Old Town Bay St. Louis
is the perfect couple's getaway.
9. Cozy "Little Brick" House, Natchez Location: Natchez, Mississippi 39120 Size: 1 bedroom, 1 bath Price: $155/night Amenities: Historic brick home about 70 miles south of Vicksburg, rustic interior, detached brick kitchen, full-width rear porch, fireplace, Smart TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
This historic inn provides the perfect blend of old and new, offering pristine furnishings and highly rated for cleanliness. It is perfectly located in Natchez, a quaint, historical little town near the Mississippi River with much to explore. Be sure to check out the Natchez National Historic Park, or go for a scenic drive along the Natchez Trace Parkway. Treat yourself to the true taste of Southern Hospitality at one of the many nearby restaurants. You and your partner will be amazed by the antebellum mansions seemingly everywhere you look; truly, it's impossible not to fall in love with Natchez's charm and this
Cozy "Little Brick" House
10. Natchez Trace Cabin Retreat On 5 Acres, Madison Location: Madison, Mississippi 39110 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $208/night Amenities: Beautiful cabin on 5 private acres, gated driveway, boardwalk with manicured grounds, fenced-in back porch, comfortable patio seating, large wrap-around deck, fireplace, cozy indoor furnishings, fully-stocked kitchen, TV, washer & dryer, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
This secluded cabin is situated on 5 private acres near Natchez Trace walking and biking trails, as well as Ross Barnett Reservoir. You'll truly feel removed from it all with the gated driveway and the peaceful scenery that surrounds you. The cabin's large wrap-around deck overlooks a pond, and the screened-in back porch lets you enjoy the elements sans bugs. Enjoy the TV library in front of the warmth of the fireplace after a day of exploring the outdoor recreation at your fingertips. You'll love making the
Natchez Trace Cabin Retreat
a temporary home for you and your loved ones.
Best Places to Stay in Biloxi
The well-known and beloved town of Biloxi is found right on the Gulf of Mexico coast in far southern Mississippi. It offers endless historical charm and is the quintessential coastal community. Immerse yourself in the maritime culture by dining at one of the many restaurants offering freshly-caught seafood, learn the history of the town with a visit to the Jefferson Davis Presidential Library, or enjoy the beautiful Biloxi Beach on the Mississippi Sound. Casino resorts are found everywhere. When it comes to
accommodation in Mississippi, these VRBO listings in Biloxi and the neighboring town of Ocean Springs offer the perfect immersion into coastal living. 11. Twin Oaks, Ocean Springs Location: Ocean Springs, Mississippi 39564 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $179/night Amenities: Spacious home with front and back patios, outdoor seating, propane grill, large, fully-stocked kitchen, open living/dining rooms with comfortable seating, Smart TV, pet-friendly (with fee), washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
This beautiful property is located only five minutes from East Beach in Ocean Springs and 10 minutes from Biloxi. Enjoy the Gulf Coast breezes from the seating area on the back patio on warm evenings, or walk down the street and play tennis on the public tennis courts. Within walking distance, you'll also find the beach, historic downtown Ocean Springs, and plenty of coastal Mississippi culture to soak in. The large kitchen offers ample space to prepare home-cooked meals if you'd prefer to relax in front of the Smart TV in the living room after a long day. You won't regret choosing the
Twin Oaks home
for your getaway as you enjoy all that Ocean Springs and Biloxi have to offer.
12. The Breathe Easy, Ocean Springs Location: Ocean Springs, Mississippi 39564 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $275/night Amenities: Scenic home with covered front and back patios, comfortable patio furniture, spacious living/dining rooms, large farm table, large fully-stocked kitchen, plush bedding in bedrooms, Smart TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars The Breathe Easy
is aptly named to represent the peaceful respite that vacationers find when they stay here. Covered front and back patios let you enjoy the outdoors even on a rainy day, while the comforting interior has large windows that allow for plenty of natural light to filter into the rooms. Pour yourself a cup of coffee with the Keurig expresso machine as you start each day. This home is located only three blocks from downtown Ocean Springs, and a short 10-minute drive to Biloxi, allowing easy access to both of these charming coastal communities. Suitable for couples, small groups, or families of up to eight people in size, you'll find this home well-suited and conveniently located for all of your traveling delights.
13. Sandhill Beachhouse – Sleeps 10, Private Natural Beach; Ocean Springs/Biloxi Location: Ocean Springs, Mississippi 39566 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $295/night Amenities: Spacious beach house, ocean views, private beach access, large front and back deck, elevator for mobility assistance, beach-side gazebo, fireplace, modern furnishings, satellite TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
The incredible 2400-square-foot
offers unparalleled views of the Gulf Coast with private access to a 0.8-acre private beach. It provides the perfect setting for weddings, small events, or the ultimate vacation getaway for you and your family or friends. Spend your days relaxing beachside, and your nights cozied up in front of the fireplace indoors. While you may not want to leave the peacefulness of your coastal retreat, you'll have close access to the Gulf Coast’s 10 Casinos, boutique shopping, plenty of restaurants, art galleries, and an unbeatable nightlife experience in both Ocean Springs and Biloxi.
Best Places to Stay in Jackson
If you’re wondering
where to stay in Mississippi, Mississippi’s capitol city of Jackson is a hub for entertainment, history, arts, culture, and cuisine. There are quite a few VRBO rentals scattered about town, but these three beautiful rentals below stood apart from the rest for their charm, location, and plentiful amenities offered. Whether you’re looking for a rustic cabin feel or modern architectural chic, you’ll surely find one of these options to suit your fancy as you explore the great city of Jackson. 14. Charming Family Friendly Home Near Reservoir, Jackson Location: Brandon, Mississippi 39042 Size: 3 bedrooms, 2 baths Price: $165/night Amenities: Famrstyle house with covered veranda, fenced-in yard, fully-stocked kitchen, spacious living/dining rooms, fireplace, Smart TV, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars
This beautiful farmhouse-style home is conveniently located near the Ross R Barnett Reservoir, and just a short drive from downtown Jackson. This
Charming Family Friendly Home
caters to your every need for comfort and convenience, while still letting you feel removed from it all for the peace and quiet you crave. Relax in front of the fireplace or on the covered patio or prepare a home-cooked meal in the spacious kitchen. Three bedrooms and two full bathrooms will ensure that you and your family or friends have all the space and privacy you may want.
15. Relax In Architecture! Secluded, Safe, And Serene; Jackson Location: Jackson, Mississippi 39056 Size: 1 bedroom, 1 bath Price: $232/night Amenities: Secluded single-bedroom home on 2 acres, gated private entry, floor-to-ceiling windows, ample natural light, fire pit, kitchenette, fireplace, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 4.9 stars
The Falk House is unlike any luxury hotel you'll find anywhere else. It's listed on the National Register of Historic Places, and it only takes one glimpse at this unique property to see why. The architectural elements include floor-to-ceiling windows offering sweeping forest views, with mid-century modern design elements creating an eclectic atmosphere within. This property sits on two private acres with gated entry, so you'll feel safe and right at home during your stay. You'll be centrally located as well, with close access to restaurants, bars, shopping, and more. Be sure to check out the famous Mississippi Blues Trail. You'll love calling
the Falk House
home during your visit to Jackson.
16. Log Cabin On The Lake, Pelahatchie Location: Pelahatchie, Mississippi 39145 Size: 4 bedrooms, 3 baths Price: $199/night Amenities: Large, rustic cabin on a private estate, large decks with lake views, outdoor fire pit, wood-burning fireplace, fully-stocked kitchen, jacuzzi tub, washer & dryer, free WiFi, etc. Ratings: 5 stars
This gorgeous, nearly 2,000-square-foot
is situated on 20 acres of land that includes a 16-acre lake just north of Pelahatchie, which is about 30 minutes east of Jackson. You'll enter through a private, gated drive to find this stunning home with vaulted cathedral ceilings, a large stone fireplace, and pristine lake views. You'll love the large covered decks in both the front and back of the house where you can drink in the views along with your morning coffee or evening cocktails. The yard is huge, providing all you need for your outdoor recreation while still having access to nearby dining and a short drive to Jackson if desired.
Which of these best
places to stay in Mississippi are you most excited to visit first? These charming, homey listings sure beat staying at a traditional 3 or 4-star hotel such as a Holiday Inn, Hampton Inn, or Hilton, simply for the charm and peace and quiet they offer.
If you are looking for ways to immerse yourself in the Magnolia State’s culture without breaking the bank, here are
10 budget-friendly things to do in Mississippi while you’re visiting.
OnlyInYourState may earn compensation through affiliate links in this article.
The OIYS Visitor Center
Best Unique Places To Stay In Mississippi
January 27, 2023
What are the best unique hotels in Mississippi?
The best unique hotels in Mississippi include the following:
If you're looking for unique cabin experiences, you'll want to check out these
10 best cabins in Mississippi.
Where are the most unique getaways in Mississippi?
The most unique getaways in Mississippi include the following:
For more out-of-the-ordinary lodging options, consider those found on this list of
11 lesser-known inns that offer an incredible night's stay.