Detroit March 23, 2017
These 13 Aerial Views Of Detroit Will Leave You Mesmerized
It’s no secret that Detroit is one of the most unique and fascinating cities in the world. Our hometown boasts an incredible history, plenty of wonderful attractions, and a spirit that simply can’t be matched anywhere else. When you’ve grown up in or around the Motor City, it can be easy to forget just how one-of-a-kind Detroit is — but sometimes all it takes is a step back and a new viewpoint to truly appreciate where we come from. Here are thirteen awesome aerial photographs of Detroit that will show you our beloved city in a whole new way.
1. This simple yet beautiful shot of the Motor City captures Detroit on a clear, sunny day. From this distance, the city almost looks fake — as though it’s been reconstructed or painted in immaculate detail. Check out that sparkle on the Detroit River!
2. Speaking of the Detroit River, here’s an even broader shot of the water surrounding our beloved city. We certainly are lucky to have such direct access to a freshwater source. This shot also shows us a great view of Belle Isle.
3. Detroit looks picture perfect in this image of downtown. Even on a cloudy day, there’s something magical about the Motor City — no matter what our critics say.
4. Despite its troubled past, the abandoned Michigan Central Station maintains a unique beauty in this sunset shot of the Motor City. Absolutely breathtaking.
5. A bustling day on the Detroit Riverwalk. Could one of those tiny dots be you, taking an afternoon stroll with friends or family? It’s incredible to admire the Detroit River's turquoise hue from above.
6. Take me out to the ball game! What a lovely aerial capture of Comerica Park and Ford Field in the distance. We Detroiters sure do love our sports teams.
7. This drone image captures the Ren Cen like you’ve never seen it before: up close and personal! If this picture doesn’t fill you with Motor City pride, I’m not sure what will.
8. The Ambassador Bridge is one of Detroit’s most iconic structures, and with good reason: it connects us with our friendly Canadian neighbors! This image captures a rarely seen view of the bridge as it ushers traffic between the two countries.
9. Count them all: how many Detroit neighborhoods and landmarks can you spot in this amazing photo of our city, taken from aboard an airplane?
10. Another marvelous drone image of the Renaissance Center, which is truly a fixture of the Motor City. From this angle, it’s difficult to gauge just how tall and grand the towers really are!
11. At first glance, this might look like a bundle of Christmas lights — but think again. This gorgeous shot actually captures Detroit’s sparkling nightlife from above!
12. They don't call us the Motor City for nothing, and here’s a great aerial photograph to prove it! What a uniquely mesmerizing shot of the driving tracks at Ford.
13. We couldn’t resist including one vintage shot in this collection. Here’s a fascinating high-up look at the 1950 Michigan State Fair, held in Detroit. Were any of you lucky enough to attend this event?
So, there you have it: a handful of aerial photographs showing our beloved Motor City like you’ve never seen before. No matter how you look at it, though, one thing is for sure: we’re lucky to call Detroit home.