Idaho February 25, 2017
15 Things Every Idahoan Wants The Rest Of The Country To Know
Hey Non-Idahoans, our state is pretty special. Some of us have been here our whole lives and it’s shaped who we are. You might know it as simply “Potatoland,” but we know it as the place where we’ve had our best experiences and the place that – even if we have to leave – we’ll always turn to when we need a dose of home. But it’s come to our attention that you might have a few misconceptions about our state, and we think there are just a few things you all need to know:
1. Contrary to popular belief, Idaho has more than just potatoes.
We're pretty content with you not knowing the incredible things our state has to offer so that you won't want to move here, though. So, yes. WE ARE POTATOLAND. There's nothing else to see, here. Move along.
2. We do know potatoes best, though.
We know how to fry 'em, slice 'em, dice 'em, bake 'em, and whip up some pretty awesome dishes... just saying.
3. The coast is nice, but lake beaches are better.
No crowds, no shoes, no problems!
4. Our small towns look exactly like you they thought they would.
Quaint, friendly, and perfectly rural!
5. Idaho is definitely wild at heart.
If you love the great outdoors, adventurous thrill-seeking, fishing, or the tranquility of nature, this is the state for you. If you like mainstream attractions and theme parks around every corner, you're in the wrong place.
6. See, the middle of nowhere is an Idahoan's favorite place to be.
7. And while we really like our solitude. ..
Save for the company of nature.
8. You should know that we DO exist and we're NOT in the Midwest.
But feel free to drive right by us on your way to Portland.
9. We have a sense of humor.
10. Mother Nature is at her most fierce here in the Gem State.
It's dangerous, but there's something powerfully compelling about it.
11. Boise is pretty great, but it's not the only awesome place here.
We have so many great towns here! From hidden gems in the Treasure Valley like Weiser and Parma to the forgotten corners of our state with rural beauties like Gibbonsville and Preston... and everything in between.
12. No, we're not all avid gun collectors or hunting enthusiasts.
We're a lot more diverse than many people realize.
13. We aren't all powder-hounds, either.
It may seem crazy, given how many beautiful resorts and incredible mountain ranges we have, but some of us just prefer old-fashioned winter fun.
14. Sure, Idaho has a lot of sagebrush and desert...
Which has a beauty of its own, as any southerner will tell you.
15. But it's also the most beautiful place on earth, and we wouldn't trade it for anything.
Now it’s your turn! What else would you add to our list?