Creepy September 14, 2016
10 Terrifying Facts You Probably Don’t Know About Florida
I love my home state, but there are some things about Florida that are a little disturbing. From the threat of sinkholes to serial killers, here a few scary facts about the Sunshine State:
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here:
1. Florida has the highest number of shark attacks in the U.S.
The city of New Smyrna Beach has the highest recorded number of shark attacks. Luckily, the fatality rate is relatively low for shark attacks in the U.S.
2. Florida is the fifth state in the nation when it comes to violent crime rates.
Check out the full list for all of the states
3. Florida is the state with the most damage from sinkholes.
You probably remember the sinkhole that swallowed a man in his home in Tampa in 2013. Florida is so prone to sinkholes because acidic ground water eats away at the limestone and carbonate rock until it caves in on itself.
4. Florida is the lightning capital of the U.S.
The so-called "Lightning Alley" (Tampa to Titusville) is the area with the most fatalities and injuries from lightning in the country.
5. Obviously, Florida is at high risk for hurricanes.
Historically, Florida has had the highest number of hurricanes make landfall in the U.S. (114 since 1851).
6. Because of our long storm season, Florida also ranks high on the list of states with the most tornadoes, as well.
Florida has a lot of water spouts that sometimes come ashore, making it one of the top five states for tornadoes.
7. In a recent study of which states produced the highest number of serial killers, Florida ranked #3.
Check out the rest of the list
8. The Florida Everglades is the only place you can encounter alligators AND crocodiles.
Plus there are lots of spiders, snakes, and plenty of invasive species.
9. Florida ranks #1 for identity theft in the entire country.
You can read about Florida and the other states with the highest rate of identity theft and credit card fraud
10. Florida has received a very low score for "state integrity" - meaning it's one of the states with the most political corruption in the country.
Check out the full report from The Center for Public Integrity
Whew! Those facts may seem crazy, but don’t forget about all of the wonderful things there are to see and do in the Sunshine State. Check out
18 Hidden Gems In Florida That Will Blow You Away.