Here Are 25 Words That You’ll For Sure Understand If You’re From Alabama
Alabama is known for its southern slang. That’s no secret! We even have our own vocabulary here that some visitors just don’t understand. Here is a list of 25 words/phrases that you’ll definitely understand if you’re from Alabama.
We’re aware that these uncertain times are limiting many aspects of life. While we continue to feature destinations that make our state wonderful, please take proper precautions or add them to your bucket list to see at a later date. If you know of a local business that could use some extra support during these times, please nominate them here: onlyinyourstate.com/nominate
5. Lord willing
10. Oh my goodness gracious!
11. Kinfolk – friends or relatives
12. Yonder way – anywhere out of visual distance
15. I’m fixin’ to – means one is about to do something.
16. As slow as molasses
19. Ain’t – is not
20. Preachin’ to the choir – when you say something that is very obvious to those who are listening.
21. Y’all – you all
22. LA – In Alabama, LA means “Lower Alabama” – not Los Angeles or Louisiana.
This is just a short list of the many words and phrases used here in Alabama. What words or phrases can you add to the list?