Here we go again…tempting you with food you just can’t resist. Unless…you’re one of those people that typically judge a book by its cover. Or ARE you? We’ve gathered up 15 “hole-in-the-wall” restaurants that dish out some of the best eats you’ll find – in spite of how they look on the outside. Are you up for the challenge? Here’s the list and it’s not in any particular order…
1. Martha Lou's Kitchen - 1068 Morrison Dr, Charleston, SC 29403
Martha Lou's is a soul food institution in Charleston. It's been reviewed (with NICE reviews) in the New York Times and the Travel Channel. When you go, make sure you get your own "selfie" in front of this iconic building!
2. Pawleys Island Tavern - 10635 Ocean Hwy, Pawleys Island, SC 29585
That, my friend, is a big piece of fried chicken under that beautiful provolone and those jalapenos. In addition to great pub fare, Pawleys Island Tavern usually has some live music.
3. Southern Belly BBQ - Columbia (Rosewood location) 1332 Rosewood Dr, Columbia, SC 29201
This BBQ joint is a hidden gem in Columbia. Choose from more sauces than you can count on one hand and sit back and stuff your face.
4. Bullies BBQ - 3 Regency Pkwy, Hilton Head Island, SC 29928
Actually, when it comes to size, Bullies is NOT a small place, but they do let you write all over the walls, which is entirely related to why they made this list. Oh, and they have stellar food! Try the ribs, they're amazing.
5. Addy's Dutch Cafe & Restaurant - 17 E Coffee St, Greenville, SC 29601
Visit one of the most unique Dutch restaurants in the U.S. right here in South Carolina. Authentic Dutch and European cuisine are an everyday offering at Addy's.
6. Wreck of the Richard & Charlene - 106 Haddrell St, Mt Pleasant, SC 29464
This place is a real dive and they know it. And the food is consistently great and always fresh! It's a little hard to find but worth the effort. The Wreck is a LANDMARK on Mount Pleasant's famous food alley called "Shem Creek."
7. Bodo's German Restaurant & Pub - 407 8th Ave N, Myrtle Beach, SC 29577
If you're into German food then Bodo's is the place to be. Forget the exterior and focus on the food. (Shown: Jägerschnitzel with spaetzle and champagne kraut)
8. Marshside Mama's - 15 Haig Point Rd, Daufuskie Island, SC 29915
Wow. Marshside Mama's isn't fancy but she still earns 4.5 out of 5 stars from reviews on Trip Advisor. Try the Oytser Po' Boy Sandwich for a taste that'll blow your socks off.
9. McCutcheon's Cheeseburger House - 512 Ninety Six Hwy, Greenwood, SC 29646
We've got news if you think this local spot has "retro" decor. It's the real thing...and so is this loaded burger. You want to lick your screen right now for a taste of that bacon, don't you?
10. Northwest Grill - 13045 Old White Horse Rd, Travelers Rest, SC 29690
Someone somewhere voted this little restaurant's burger the BEST in Greenville County. Get on over there to find out why...
11. Tanners Big Orange - 322 S Pleasantburg Dr, Greenville, SC 29607
Oh boy we just can't resist this one: after you leave this hole in the wall restaurant in Greenville you can turn to your friend and ask "Orange you glad we ate here?" Seriously, they've been in business for more than 70 years ... if that's not enough to let you know they have the food business figured out, then take a look at these hotdogs...
12. The Rough House - 116 Court Square, Abbeville, SC 29620
...Speaking of hot dogs...hot dogs and ice cream are what's up at The Rough House in Abbeville. It's a great place to take the kids.
13. The Brown Derby II - 1397 Belleville Rd, Orangeburg, SC 29115
Soul food like there's no tomorrow! What it lacks on the outside will be made up for in your tummy.
14. Fletchers Finds and Deli - 21 Castle Hall Rd # 17, Yemassee, SC 29945
Well, at least it's accurately named. You CAN shop and eat, or EAT and then shop. Either way, you get a delicious meal and some great finds to take home with you when you leave Fletchers.
15. McConkey's Jungle Shack - 108 Jungle Rd, Edisto Island, SC 29438
This little roadside gem dishes out some hardcore food...like these mahi tacos that look good enough to be on TV.
Everyone loves food. And South Carolina has its fair share of killer restaurants. Have you eaten at any of the ones on this list? If we left any off, you know our comments section is always open for you to add to the list!