Rhode Island February 05, 2016
15 Extremely Weird Things Only People From Rhode Island Do
From Awful Awfuls to coffee milk, Rhode Islanders have many habits that visitors might find a little different at first. These are 15 things that only little Rhody’s residents do, showing that the people are just as unique as the state.
1. They give directions based on where all the Dunkin Donuts are along the way.
2. Any drive that takes more than 15 minutes is considered a road trip.
3. While most people are adding milk to their coffee, Rhode Islanders are adding coffee syrup to their milk. Oh yes, it's delicious.
4. It is not uncommon to see Rhode Islanders wearing shorts, flip flops, and a winter jacket in the middle of January.
5. They never use a straw when drinking their beloved frozen lemonade.
6. Quahogs, littlenecks, steamers; Rhode Islanders take their clams very seriously and can name different varieties!
7. The left lane isn't really used for passing in this state.
8. All Rhode Islanders have at one point considered trying the Awful Awful challenge at the Newport Creamery. Just drink 3 of the 24 ounce loaded milkshakes and you get a 4th one free and become a local legend!
9. Rhode Island has its very own clear clam chowder, but locals always order the classic white chowder.
10. They have a big blue bug on the side of the highway that is dressed up for special occasions.
11. With such a massive Italian influence there are hundreds of amazing pizza restaurants, but bakery pizza, plain dough with marinara, is still everywhere to be found.
12. They take away and add the letter R when they feel like it. "I have an idear. Let's pahk ovuh on Westminstuh Street."
13. They set the Providence river ablaze throughout the summer and gather by the thousands to watch it.
14. In Rhode Island, the hotdogs are actually hot weiners and come decked out with meat, onions, and mustard.
15. From bubblers, grinders, and coffee cabinets, Rhode Islanders use a "wicked" lot of different words.
Rhode Islanders might have a lot of strange habits, but they are also some of the most interesting people you’ll meet. For such a small and densely populated state, locals have developed so many rituals that give them tons of character and set them apart from the rest.