It’s fun for the people of Portland to have unique quirks and small (or big) traditions. We say “Keep Portland Weird” for a reason; we want to maintain originality. Here’s a list of fun facts to prove that we know how to do that:
1. Portland was named on a coin toss.
Had the coin landed on the other side we'd be living in Boston, OR.
2. Portland is one of two cities in the US to have a dormant volcano within city limits.
We call it Mt. Tabor, and it has one of the prettiest parks in the city.
3. Portland holds an annual World Naked Bike Ride.
It's considered a "well-established tradition" by the City of Portland.
4. More brainiacs inhabit Portland than anywhere else in the country.
But then again, you probably knew that already.
5. We have the world's smallest park.
Mill's End Park is 2.5 feet in diameter.
6. Portland has more strip clubs per capita than any other city.
Some serve steak and some are vegan!
7. We have more microbreweries than anywhere else in the world.
In. The. World.
8. There's an underground tunnel in downtown Portland.
Its original purpose was to transport goods to the docks at the Willamette River, but ended up being used to kidnap men and women to sell them into the sex trade.
9. There are miniature horses all over Portland.
As a part of the "Portland Horse Project," people leave these horses so they can be used as a catalyst for people to realize the beauty in the details of our city.
10. Powell's Books is the largest independently owned bookstore in the world.
Explains number 4.
11. The International Rose Test Garden has over 500 types of roses.
And it's over four acres.